Finding Frequent Subgraphs in Longitudinal Social Network Data Using a Weighted Graph Mining Approach
The mining of social networks entails a high degree of computational complexity. This complexity is exacerbate when considering longitudinal social network data. To address this complexity issue three weighting schemes are proposed in this paper. The fundamental idea is to reduce the complexity by considering only the most significant nodes and links. The proposed weighting schemes have been incorporated into the weighted variations and extensions of the well established gSpan frequent subgraph mining algorithm. The focus of the work is the cattle movement network found in Great Britain. A complete evaluation of the proposed approaches is presented using this network. In addition, the utility of the discovered patterns is illustrated by constructing a sequential data set to which a sequential mining algorithm can be applied to capturing the changes in “behavior” represented by a network.
KeywordsFrequent subgraph mining Weighted graph mining Social network mining Longitudinal data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Somaraki, V., Broadbent, D., Coenen, F., Harding, S.: Finding Temporal Patterns in Noisy Longitudinal Data: A Study in Diabetic Retinopathy. In: Proceedings of the 10th Industrial Conference on Data Mining, Berlin, pp. 418–431 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Yan, X., Han, J.: gSpan:Graph-based Substructure Pattern Mining. In: Proceedings of 2002 International Conference on Data Mining (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Mukherjee, M., Holder, L.B.: Graph-based Data Mining on Social Networks. In: Proceedings of the ACM KDD Workshop on Link Analysis and Group Detection (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Yang, W., Dia, J., Cheng, H., Lin, H.: Mining Social Networks for Targeted Advertising. In: Proceedings of the 39th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Science (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Lahiri, M., Berger-Wolf, T.Y.: Structure Prediction in Temporal Networks using Frequent Subgraphs. In: Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Data Mining, Hawaii, pp. 35–42 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Inokuchi, A., Washio, T., Motoda, H.: An Apriori-based Algorithm for Mining Frequent Substructures from Graph Data. In: Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Kuramochi, M., Karypis, G.: Frequent Subgraph Discovery. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Jiang, C., Coenen, F., Zito, M.: Frequent Subgraph Mining on Edge Weighted Graphs. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Pei, J., Han, J., Asl, M.B., Pinto, H., Chen, Q., Dayal, U., Hsu, M.C.: PrefixSpan: Mining Sequential Patterns Efficiently by Prefix-Projected Patterns Growth. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Data Engineering (2001)Google Scholar