Taxi-Aware Map: Identifying and Predicting Vacant Taxis in the City
Knowing where vacant taxis are and will be at a given time and location helps the users in daily planning and scheduling, as well as the taxi service providers in dispatching. In this paper, we present a predictive model for the number of vacant taxis in a given area based on time of the day, day of the week, and weather condition. The history is used to build the prior probability distributions for our inference engine, which is based on the naïve Bayesian classifier with developed error-based learning algorithm and method for detecting adequacy of historical data using mutual information. Based on 150 taxis in Lisbon, Portugal, we are able to predict for each hour with the overall error rate of 0.8 taxis per 1x1 km2 area.
KeywordsMutual Information Inference Engine Smart City Taxi Driver Human Mobility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Steventon, A., Wright, S.: Intelligent Spaces: The Application of Pervasive ICT (Computer Communications and Networks). Springer, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Calabrese, F., Pereira, F.C., Lorenzo, G.D., Liu, L.: The geography of taste: analyzing cell-phone mobility and social events. In: Proceedings of IEEE Inter. Conf. on Pervasive Computing (PerComp) (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Phithakkitnukoon, S., Horanont, T., Lorenzo, G.D., Shibasaki, R., Ratti, C.: Activity-aware map: Identifying human daily activity pattern using mobile phone data. In: Inter. Conf. on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2010), Workshop on Human Behavior Understanding (HBU), pp. 14–25. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Ziebart, B.D., Maas, A.L., Dey, A.K., Bagnell, J.A.: Navigate like a cabbie: probabilistic reasoning from observed context-aware behavior. In: UbiComp 2008: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing, pp. 322–331. ACM, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, L., Andris, C., Bidderman, A., Ratti, C.: Revealing taxi drivers mobility intelligence through his trace. In: Movement-Aware Applications for Sustainable Mobility: Technologies and Approaches, pp. 105–120 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Geotaxi, http://www.geotaxi.com
- 12.WeatherUnderground, http://www.wunderground.com/
- 14.Phithakkitnukoon, S., Dantu, R.: Adequacy of data for characterizing caller behavior. In: Proceedings of KDD Inter. Workshop on Social Network Mining and Analysis (SNAKDD 2008) (2008)Google Scholar