Delay Performance Analysis of a Two-Stage Cross-Layer Scheduler for Wireless LANs
The transport of real-time data flows over wireless channels can be optimized by cross-layer schedulers which serve the different users dependent on their traffic load and channel state. This paper investigates the delay performance of a two-stage cross-layer scheduler which has been designed to meet the above requirements. The well-known Weighted Fair Queuing Scheduler can tramsmit packets within a guaranteed delay that can be analytically determined, however the delay cannot be adjusted directly. The latter is possible with the scheduler discussed in this paper, where a transmission is performed in a stochastic way which means a certain percentage of the packet is lost, which is however often tolerable for applications such as video or VoIP. An analytical approach of the delay performance of the scheduler is given and validated by simulation results.
KeywordsCross-Layer Scheduling Wireless LAN Quality-of-Service
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wang, Y.-C., Tseng, Y.-C., Chen, W.-T., Tsai, K.-C.: MR-FQ: A Fair Scheduling Algorithm for Wireless Networks with Variable Transmission Rate. Simulation 81(8) (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Haleem, M.A., Chandramouli, R.: Adaptive Downlink Scheduling and Rate Selection: A Cross-Layer Design. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 23(8) (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Haleem, M.A., Chandramouli, R.: Adaptive Stochastic Iterative Rate Selection for Wireless Channels. IEEE Comm. Letters 8(5) (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Könsgen, A., Timm-Giel, A., Görg, C., Böhnke, R.: Impact of the Transmission Scheme on the Performance of Wireless LANs. In: Proc. Mobilight, Athens, Greece (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Könsgen, A., Islam, M., Timm-Giel, A., Görg, C.: Performance Analysis of Packet Aggregation in WLANs with Simultaneous User Access. In: Proc. IFIP, Aachen, Germany (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, B., Fitzek, F., Gross, J., Grünheid, R., Rohling, H., Wolisz, A.: Framework for Combined Optimization of DLC and Physical Layer in Mobile OFDM Systems. In: 6th Int. OFDM Workshop, Hamburg, Germany (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Lu, S., Bhargavan, V., Srilant, R.: Fair Scheduling in Wireless Packet Networks. In: Proc. SIGCOMM (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Song, J., Li, L., Han, J.: A Wireless Fair Scheduling Algorithm Supporting CoS. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Communications, Circuits and Systems (2002)Google Scholar