Cross-Layer Clustering Optimization in Mobile Networks Using Evolutionary Algorithms
In this paper we present an evolutionary algorithm to tackle the aggregation network design in a mobile communication system. The design and optimization of this part of the network involves four different tasks: the determination of the number and location of the Base Station Controller (BSC) or Radio Network Controllers (RNC), the assignment of Base Stations (BTS) or B-Nodes to the controllers, the definition of the tree structure that links all the nodes with the controllers and, finally, the system assignment in the links between the different hops of the tree. The novel evolutionary heuristic proposed deals with all these sub-problem together and it is able to obtain good solutions, as will be shown in several real scenarios.
KeywordsAggregation network multi-layer optimization evolutionary algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brinkmann, M., Hackbarth, K., Ilic, D., Neu, W., Neumman, K.H., Portilla-Figueras, A.: Mobile Termination Cost Model for Australia. Final Report, http://www.accc.gov.au
- 2.Krishnamachari, B., Wicker, S.: Base station location optimization in cellular wireless networks using heuristic search algorithms. Soft Computing in Communications, 201–219 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, Y.J., Atiquzzaman, M.: Exact algorithm for delay-constrained capacitated minimum spanning tree network. IET Communications 1(6), 1238–1247Google Scholar
- 8.Charnsripinyo, C., Wattanapongsakorn, N.: A Model for Reliable Wireless Access Network Topology Design. Proceedings of the IEEE TENCON 2, 561–564 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Comisión del Mercado de las Telecomunicaciones (Spanish Telecommunication National Regulator), Informe Anual (2008), http://www.cmt.es
- 11.Boucher, N.J.: The cellular radio handbook. J. Willey & Sons, England (2001)Google Scholar