Increasing the VoIP Capacity through MAP Overhead Reduction in the IEEE 802.16 OFDMa Systems
One of the main issues with supporting VoIP service over 802.16 networks is the signalling overhead caused by the downlink MAP messages due to frequent transmissions and small packets. To decrease the MAP overhead, the 802.16 standard proposes some mechanisms, such as the compressed MAP and sub-MAPs. In this paper, we show by means of extensive dynamic simulations that sub-MAPs can reduce dramatically the signalling overhead associated with VoIP traffic and significantly improve overall VoIP capacity. At the same time, since sub-MAPs are more sensitive to packet drops, they tend to increase the number of HARQ retransmissions in downlink and transmission delays in the uplink direction.
KeywordsIEEE 802.16 VoIP Signalling overhead
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Air interface for fixed broadband wireless access systems. IEEE Standard 802.16 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Air interface for fixed broadband wireless access systems - amendment for physical and medium access control layers for combined fixed and mobile operation in licensed bands. IEEE Standard 802.16e (December 2005)Google Scholar
- 3.IEEE 802.16m evaluation methodology document (EMD). IEEE 802.16 Broadband Wireless Access Group. (March 2008)Google Scholar
- 4.WiMAX Forum Mobile System Profile, Release 1.0 Approved Specification, Revision 1.6.1 (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Air interface for broadband wireless access systems. IEEE Standard 802.16 (Rev. 2) (May 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Lakkakorpi, J., Sayenko, A.: Measurement-based connection admission control methods for real-time services in IEEE 802.16e. In: Second International Conference on Communication Theory, Reliability, and Quality of Service, CTRQ 2009, pp. 37–41 (July 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Lakkakorpi, J., Sayenko, A.: Uplink VoIP delays in IEEE 802.16e using different ertPS resumption mechanisms. In: Third International Conference on Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies, pp. 157–162 (October 2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Sayenko, A., Alanen, O., Martikainen, H., Tykhomyrov, V., Puchko, O., Hämäläinen, T.: WINSE: WiMAX NS-2 Extension. In: 2nd International Conference on Simulations Tools and Techniques (March 2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Tykhomyrov, V., Sayenko, A., Puchko, O., Hämäläinen, T.: Decreasing the MAP overhead in the IEEE 802.16 OFDMA system. In: European Wireless Conference (2010) (accepted for publication)Google Scholar