Using MPLS in a Wireless Mesh Network to Improve the Resiliency of SCADA Systems
Critical infrastructure are often and often being managed by SCADA systems that communicates using the de facto standard TCP/IP suite of protocols. Given the recent advances in wireless communications and the cost-effectiveness of deploying a multi-hop wireless network, we also foresee the use of wireless networks as the communication infrastructure of SCADA systems in the near future. In order for that to happen, the needed requirements of SCADA systems in terms of performance, reliability and resiliency must be ensured. To this end, a critical role is played by the routing protocol. In a previous work, we proposed a forwarding paradigm for wireless networks which was shown to be robust against node/link failures. However, such a forwarding paradigm cannot be used as-is in the case of SCADA systems due to its loose control over the network traffic. In this paper, we present an alternative implementation of such forwarding paradigm, which uses MPLS – a widely adopted technology in the wired world – as its forwarding engine and describe how such solution solves the issues presented by the original version of our forwarding paradigm.
KeywordsSCADA systems network resiliency MPLS wireless mesh networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Rosen, E., Viswanathan, A., Callon, R.: Multiprotocol Label Switching Architecture. RFC 3031, IETF (January 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Bel Air Networks, http://www.belairnetworks.com/products/
- 5.Proxim Wireless, http://www.proxim.com/
- 8.Kodialam, M., Nandagopal, T.: Characterizing the Capacity Region in Multi-Radio Multi-Channel Wireless Mesh Networks. In: Proc. of ACM MobiCom, pp. 73–87 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Chen, Y.Y., Liu, S.C., Chen, C.: Channel assignment and routing for multi-channel wireless mesh networks using simulated annealing. In: Proc. of IEEE GLOBECOM, pp. 1–5 (November 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Perkins, C., Belding-Royer, E., Das, S.: Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing. RFC 3561, IETF (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Avallone, S., Manetti, V., Mariano, M., Romano, S.P.: A splitting infrastructure for load balancing and security in an MPLS network. In: Proceedings of TridentCom 2007, Orlando, FL, USA. IEEE, Los Alamitos (May 2007)Google Scholar
- 13.MPLS for Linux, http://mpls-linux.sourceforge.net