A Dual Head Clustering Mechanism for Energy Efficient WSNs
Wireless sensor network are resource constrained. Clustering techniques are used to conserve energy and to prolong the lifetime of the wireless sensor network. A number of clustering techniques have been presented based on single cluster head. In single cluster head mechanisms, the single cluster head is responsible for both data gathering and data forwarding so it consumes more energy compared to the other member nodes and dies earlier. In this paper we propose a Dual Head Clustering Mechanism (DHCM) for wireless sensor network. The DHCM is based on two cluster head, one cluster head selects the data and the other head is responsible for data forwarding set for a specified number of rounds. The simulation results show that the DHCM reduce the overhead over a single head and improves the life time of the network.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Li, Q., Aslam, L., Rus, D.: Hierarchical powr-aware routing in Sensor nehvorks. In: DIMACS Workhop on Pervasive Networking (May 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Intanagonwiwat, C., Govindan, R., Estrin, D.: Directed diffusion: a scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the Sixth Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom 2000) (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Shah, R.C., Rabaey, J.: Energy aware Routing for low Energy ad hoc sensor network. In: IEEE Wireless Communication and networking Conference (WCNC) (March 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Heinzelman, W., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy-Efficient Communication Protocol for Wireless Microsensor Networks. In: Proc. 33rd Hawaii Int’l. Conf. Sys. Sci. (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Lindsey, S., Raghavendra, C.: PEGASIS: Power-Efficient Gathering in Sensor Information Systems. In: IEEE Aerospace Conf. Proc., vol. 3, 9-16, 1125–1130 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Savvides, A., Han, C.-C., Srivastava, M.: Dynamic Fine-Grained Localization in Ad-Hoc Networks of Sensors. In: Proc. 7th ACM MobiCom, pp. 166–79 (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, C.F., Ye, M., Chen, G.H., Wu, J.: An Energy-Efficient Unequal Clustering Mechanism for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems MASS 2005, November 7-10, 8 p. (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Tashtarian, F., Honary, M.T., Haghighat, A.T., Chitizadeh, J.: A new energy-efficient level-based clustering algorithm for wireless sensor networks. In: 6th International Conference on Information, Communications & Signal Processing 2007 (2007)Google Scholar