Dynamic Call Admission Control for Enhanced GoS of UGS Connections during “Busy Hour” in WiMAX
In this paper we introduce a dynamic connection admission control (CAC) mechanism for IEEE 802.16 broadband wireless access Standard. Our algorithm has been developed considering the problem of “busy hour” in communications traffic variation during a typical day. The proposed solution, which is compatible to the IEEE 802.16 Standard, provides higher priority to VoIP calls compared to other types of traffic in the network. The performance of the proposed algorithm is evaluated by means of computer simulations and compared to simple traditional admission control schemes.
KeywordsAdmission Control Busy Hour WiMAX IEEE 802.16 Medium Access Control (MAC)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IEEE Standard, IEEE Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks, Part 16: Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access System, IEEE Std 802.16-2004 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Wang, H., Li, W., Agrawal, D.P.: Dynamic Admission Control and QoS for 802.16 Wireless MAN. In: IEEE Wireless Telecommunications Symposium, pp. 60-66 (April 2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Chen, J., Jiao, W., Wang, H.: A Service Flow Management Strategy for IEEE 802.16 Broadband Wireless Access Systems in TDD Mode. In: IEEE International Conference on Communication, ICC 2005 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Chandra, S., Sahoo, A.: An efficient call admission control for IEEE 802.16 networks. In: Proc. IEEE Workshop on Local and Metropolitan Area Networks (LANMAN), New Jersey, USA, pp. 188–193 (June 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Castrucci, M., Delli Priscoli, F., Buccella, C., Puccio, V., Marchetti, I.: Connection Admission Control in WiMAX networks, White PaperGoogle Scholar
- 7.Bohnert, T.M., Staehle, D., Kuo, G.-S., Koucheryavy, Y., Monteiro, E.: Speech Quality Aware Admission Control for Fixed IEEE 802.16 Wireless MAN. In: ICC 2008, IEEE International Conference on Communications, May 19-23, pp. 2690–2695 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Niyato, D., Hossain, E.: A game-theoretic approach to bandwidth allocation and admission control for polling services in IEEE 802.16 broadband wireless networks. In: Proceedings of the 3rd international conference on Quality of service in heterogeneous wired/wireless networks, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, August 07-09 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Ghazal, S., Mokdad, L., Ben-Othman, J.: Performance Analysis of UGS, rtPS, nrtPS Admission Control in WiMAX Networks. In: ICC 2008, IEEE International Conference on Communications, May 19-23, pp. 2696–2701 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Iversen, V.B.: Analysis of real teletraffic processes based on computerized measurements. Ericsson Technics (1), 1–64 (1973); Holbk measurementsGoogle Scholar
- 13.Report Study, Enterprise VoIP Market Trends 2009-2012. Osterman Research Inc. (February 2009)Google Scholar