A Preliminary Study of a Wireless Process Control Network Using Emulation Testbeds
The increasing dependence of Critical Infrastructures (CI) from Information and Communication Technologies might encompass significant risks to our society. Experimentation with CI before introducing a new technology has always been difficult mainly because the architecture complexity, the inability to conduct experiments within a mission critical environment as well as the lack of specialized tools for recreating a CI. In this paper we present the first results of a study that was conducted in a specialized environment for experimenting with CI. We propose the use of an emulation testbed (Emulab driven) along with SCADA-aware components in order to recreate a typical Process Control Network (PCN). We present here experimental results of the risks that operators might face while installing Wi-Fi access technologies within a PCN. This work is indicative of the approach, that operators could follow, to measure, understand and minimize undesirable consequences to the resilience of a CI.
KeywordsCritical Infrastructures SCADA emulation resilience
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Emulab, http://www.emulab.net/
- 2.Alvarion. Alvarion and National Grid conduct smart power grid proof of concept in the U.S. Press release (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Benzel, T., Braden, R., Kim, D., Neuman, C., Joseph, A.D., Sklower, K.: Experience with DETER: A testbed for security research. In: TRIDENTCOM (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.De Nardis, L., Di Benedetto, M.-G.: Overview of the IEEE 802.15.4/4a standards for low data rate wireless personal data networks. In: 4th Workshop on Positioning, Navigation and Communication, pp. 285–289 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.European Commission: Communication on CIIP - ”Protecting Europe from large scale cyber-attacks and disruptions: enhancing preparedness, security and resilience. COM, 149 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.ISI. Network simulator NS-2, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 9.U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Protecting infrastructure: Critical infrastructure and key resources (cikr), http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1189168948944.shtm
- 10.Siaterlis, C., Masera, M.: A review of available software for the creation of testbeds for internet security research. In: 1st International Conference on Advances in System Simulation, pp. 79–87 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Song, J., Han, S., Mok, A.K., Chen, D., Lucas, M., Nixon, M.: Wirelesshart: Applying wireless technology in real-time industrial process control. In: IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium, pp. 377–386 (2008)Google Scholar