Equal Gain MIMO Beamforming in the RF Domain for OFDM-WLAN Systems
Equal gain beamforming (EGB) schemes are typically applied in the baseband domain and hence require complex RF transceivers. In order to simplify the circuitry and energy consumption of the MIMO transceiver, in this paper we consider an EGB scheme that operates in the RF domain by means of analog phase shifters. Under OFDM transmissions, the design of the optimal phases is a complicated nonconvex problem with no closed-form solution. Building upon a previously proposed solution for flat-fading MIMO channels, this paper describes an alternating minimization algorithm to find an approximate (suboptimal) solution for the OFDM case. Monte-Carlo simulations are performed in order to demonstrate the effectiveness of this new analog beamforming scheme under coded and uncoded WLAN 802.11a transmissions.
KeywordsAnalog Combining Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) Equal-Gain MIMO Beamforming Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eickhoff, R., et al.: MIMAX: Exploiting the maximum performance and minimum system costs of wireless MIMO systems. In: 17th ICT Mobile and Wireless Summit, Stockholm, Sweden (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Eickhoff, R., Kraemer, R., Santamaria, I., Gonzalez, L.: Integrated low power RF-MIMO transceiver for enhanced 802.11a short-range communication. IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, 34–41 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Ellinger, F.: Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits and Technologies. Springer, Berlin (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Via, J., Elvira, V., Santamaria, I., Eickhoff, R.: Analog antenna combining for maximum capacity under OFDM transmission. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, Dresden, Germany (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Via, J., Elvira, V., Santamaria, I., Eickhoff, R.: Minimum BER beamforming in the RF domain for OFDM transmissions and linear receivers. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing, Taipei, Taiwan (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.IEEE Std. 802.11a, Supplement to Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications: High-speed Physical Layer in the 5 GHZ Band. IEEE (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Van Nee, R., Prasad, R.: OFDM for wireless multimedia communications. Artech House, Norwood (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Rahman, M., Witrisal, K., Das, S., Fitzek, F., Olsen, O., Prasad, R.: Optimum pre-DFT combining with cyclic delay diversity for OFDM based WLAN systems. In: IEEE 59th Vehicular Technology Conference, vol. 4, pp. 1844–1848 (2004)Google Scholar