Enhancing Real-Time Sports Commentary Generation with Dramatic Narrative Devices
This paper looks at the current state of the art of academic sports commentary generation systems. It then summarises work on how drama is created in professional broadcast commentary using dramatic devices. A novel computational architecture for sports commentary generation based on analyses of professional broadcast commentary is then presented. This work presents a first step towards realising a computational model of real-time sports commentary which explicitly incorporates dramatic narrative devices in the form of dramatic structure, themes and texturing.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=427414 (accessed: 04/06/10)
- 2.Strauss, M., Kipp, M.: Eric: A generic rule-based framework for an affective embodied commentary agent. In: Padgham, L., Parkes, D.C., Müller, J., Parsons, S. (eds.) Proc. of 7th Int. Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2008), Estoril, Portugal, May 12-16 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Knoppel, F.L.A., Tigelaar, A.S., Bos, D.O., Alofs, T., Ruttkay, Z.: Trackside deira: a dynamic engaging intelligent reporter agent. In: Proceedings of the 7th international joint conference on Autonomous agents and multiagent systems, vol. 1, pp. 112–119. International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Andre, E., Binsted, K., Tanaka-Ishii, K., Luke, S., Herzog, G., Rist, T.: Three robocup simulation league commentator systems. AI Magazine 21, 57–66 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Freytag, G., MacEwan, E.J.: Freytag’s Technique of the Drama: An Exposition of Dramatic Composition and Art. Scott, Foresman and Co. (1908)Google Scholar
- 6.Ryan, M.L.: Narrative in real time: Chronicle, mimesis and plot in the baseball broadcast. Narrative 1(2), 138–155 (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Chatman, S.B.: Story and discourse: Narrative structure in fiction and film. Cornell University Press, Ithica (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.Bringsjord, S., Ferrucci, D.: Artificial intelligence and literary creativity: Inside the mind of brutus a storytelling machine. Computational Linguistics (2000)Google Scholar