A Developed WaterMark Technique for Distributed Database Security
Distributed database security has become an important issue. In this paper, a new computational method for protecting the distributed databases is presented. Such approach is applied for protecting both textual and numerical data. This is done by adding only one hidden record with a secret function. For each attribute, the value of this function depends on the data stored in all other records. Therefore, this technique is more powerful against any attacks or modifications such as deleting or updating cell values. Furthermore, the problems associated with the work in literature are solved. For example, there is no need for additional storage area as required when adding additional columns especially with large databases. In addition, in case of protecting data by adding columns, we need to add a number of columns equal to the number of data types to be protected. Here, only one record is sufficient to protect all types of data. Another advantage is that, there is a possibility to use a different function for each field results in more robustness. Moreover, a real-time intrusion detection algorithm is introduced for fast attack detection. Finally, the proposed technique does not have any other requirements or restrictions on either database design or database administration.
KeywordsHide Layer Cross Correlation Relational Database Intrusion Detection Hide Neuron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Digital Signatures in Relational Database Applications online available at GRANDKELL systems INC. (2007), http://www.gradkell.com
- 3.Cox, I.J.: A review of watermarking and the importance of perceptual modeling. In: Proc. of Electronic Imaging (February 1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Cox, I., Bloom, J., Miller, M.: Digital Watermarking. Morgan Kaufinann, San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Kiernan, J., Agrawal, R.: Watermarking Relational Databases. In: Proc. 28th International Conference. Very Large Databases VLDB (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Boney, L., Tewfik, A.H., Hamdy, K.N.: Digital watermarks for audio signals. In: International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, Hiroshima, Japan (June 1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Atallah, M., Wagstaff, S.: Watermarking with quadratic residues. In: Proc. of IS&T/SPIE Conference on Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents (January 1999)Google Scholar