Characterization of Selective Laser Sintered Implant Alloys: Ti6Al4V And Co-Cr-Mo
Titanium and Cr-Co-Mo alloys are the most attractive metallic biomaterials for orthopedic and dental implants: selective laser sintering technique may use these materials but it still remains limited in terms of foreseeable performances as function of process parameters. The method essentially relies on empirical, experimental knowledge and still lacks a strong theoretical basis. This paper investigates the orientation influence on mechanical performances of Ti6Al4V grade 5 and Cr-Co-Mo specimen built by selective laser sintering. The tensile strength and the rupture surface observation allow to explain the tensile strength values obtained as a function of the fine microstructure that is confirmed by metallographic observation.
KeywordsSelective laser sintering Metallic biomaterials Ti6Al4V Co-Cr-Mo alloy
The authors would like to thank: V. Chinellato – EOS Italia and F. Rizzi – LEADER ITALIA s.r.l. for their helps in the preparation of the titanium alloy laser sintered specimens; A. Sand – 3dfast s.r.l for his helps in the preparation of the Co-Cr-Mo alloy laser sintered specimens. The helps of Dr. Elena Bassoli in the SEM and XRD investigations are also appreciated.
- 1.Gradzka-Dahlke, M., Dąbrowski, J.R., Dąbrowski, B. (2008) Modification of mechanical properties of sintered implant materials on the base of Co–Cr–Mo alloy. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 204(2008):199–205.Google Scholar
- 7.Strub, J.R., Rekow, E.D., Witkowski, S. (2006) Computer-aided design and fabrication of dental restorations: Current systems and future possibilities. Journal of the American Dental Association, 137:1289–1296.Google Scholar
- 9.Fischer, P., Karapatis, N. (2002) A model for the interaction of near infrared laser pulses with metal powders in selective laser sintering. Applied Physics, A74:467–474.Google Scholar
- 12.Arcam Data sheet, electron beam melting ASTM Co-Cr-Mo F75 after heat treatment.Google Scholar
- 13.DEL CORSO, Gregory, J. (1995) Co-Cr-Mo powder metallurgy articles and process for their manufacture, Patent: 5462575.Google Scholar
- 14.Metals Handbook 1990, Tenth Edition, Volume 2, Properties and Selection: Nonferrous Alloys and Special-Purpose Materials, ASM International, p. 451.Google Scholar
- 22.Kerlins, V., Phillips, A. (1987) ASM Handbook Volume 12 Fractography, 1987:55, 783.Google Scholar