Reverse Engineering of a Piston Using Knowledge Based Reverse Engineering Approach
This paper focuses on Reverse Engineering (RE) in mechanical design. RE is an activity which consists in creating a full CAD model from a 3D point cloud. The aim of RE is to enable an activity of redesign in order to improve, repair or update a given mechanical part. Nowadays, CAD models obtained using modern software applications are generally “frozen” because they are sets of triangles of free form surfaces. In such models, there are not functional parameters but only geometric parameters. This paper proposes the KBRE (Knowledge Based Reverse Engineering) methodology which allows managing and fitting manufacturing and/or functional features. In this paper, specific geometric algorithms are described. They allow extracting design intents in a point cloud in order to fit these features.
KeywordsReverse Engineering CAD model Knowledge based system
- 1.Laroche, F., Bernard, A., Cotte, M. (2006) Methodology for simulating ancient technical systems. International Review of Numerical Engineering. Integrated Design Production, 2:9–28.Google Scholar
- 4.Durupt, A., Remy, S., Ducellier, G., Derigent, W. (2008) A new knowledge based approach for the reverse engineering of a product. Design 2008, 1:753–760.Google Scholar
- 9.Alrashdan, A., Motavalli, S., Fallah, B. (2000) Automatic segmentation of digitized data for reverse engineering applications. IIE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 32(1):59–69.Google Scholar
- 13.Mills, B.I., Langbein, F.C., Marshall, A.D., Martin, R.R. (2001) Approximate symmetry detection for reverse engineering. Sixth ACM Symposium on Solid Modelling and Applications, ACM, New York, NY, pp. 241–248.Google Scholar
- 16.VPERI (2003) Virtual Parts Engineering Research Initiative, The final report (http://www.cs.utah.edu/gdc/Viper/Collaborations/VPERI-Final-Report.doc).
- 17.Mohaghegh, K., Sadeghi, M.H., Abdullah, A. (2006) Reverse engineering of turbine blades on design intent. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 32(9–10):1009–1020.Google Scholar
- 19.Urbanic, R.J., Elmaraghy, H.A, Elmaraghy, W.H. (2007) A reverse engineering methodology for rotary components from point cloud data. International Journal of Advance Manufacturing Tool, 37(11–12):1146–1167.Google Scholar
- 20.Yong, C., Peien, F., Zhougqin, L. (2005) A genetic based approach for the principle conceptual design of mechanical products. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 27(3–4):225–233.Google Scholar