Knowledge Based Plants Layout Configuration and Piping Routing
The design of industrial plants requires managing many geometrical and non geometrical data to reach a satisfactory solution in terms of costs, performance and quality. An approach is presented to support designers in the elicitation and formalization phase of the required knowledge. Then an integral prototypal software application accomplishes layout configuration tasks through a customized graphic wizard. A routing algorithm is presented to automate calculation and modelling of piping and electrical cables respecting design constraints. Cogeneration plant powered by micro gas-turbines has been chosen as test case to evaluate the proposed design method and tool.
KeywordsRouting Knowledge based systems Knowledge management Cogeneration Computer aided plant design
The authors wish to thanks Eng. Donatello Vocca and Eng. Marco Scarponi of Ghergo Industry & Engineering, for their precious contribution in the development of this research program.
- 3.Raffaeli, R., Mengoni, M., Germani, M., Mandorli, F. (2009) An approach to support the implementation of product configuration tools. Proceedings of the ASME 2009 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference IDETC/CIE, San Diego, CA, USA, DETC2009-86752.Google Scholar
- 8.Polanyi, M. (1966) The Tacit Dimension. Routledge & Kegan Paul, London.Google Scholar
- 10.Dooley, K., Anderson, J., Liu, X.J. (1999) Process quality knowledge bases. Journal of Quality Management, 4(2):207–224.Google Scholar
- 13.Hightower, D.W. (1969) A solution to line routing problems on the continues plane. Proceedings of Sixth Design Automation Workshop IEEE, New York, pp. 1–24.Google Scholar
- 14.Sherrod, A. (2007) Data Structure and Algorithms for Game Developers. Charles River Media, Boston, Massachusetts.Google Scholar