Ontological Semantics of Standards and PLM Repositories in the Product Development Phase
In order to optimally exploit the large amounts of engineering information stored in contemporary PLM systems, the concept of knowledge based engineering (KBE) can be considered from a PLM perspective. By eventually combining product structures and implicit semantics provided by PLM-systems on the one hand, and domain-specific standards on the other hand we believe to have identified a key enabler for KBE. As an initial step we describe a coupling of a CAD system with a semantic representation of engineering knowledge using formal ontologies. By application of automatic reasoning, engineering knowledge gained from the product structure and domain-specific standards allows us to reduce time-consuming manual work in classifying overlaps between parts in a CAD model as intentional overlaps (e.g. with gaskets) or design failures.
KeywordsPLM KBE Semantics Ontology Reasoner
- 1.Ameri, F., Dutta, D. (2004) Product lifecycle management needs, concepts and components. Product Lifecycle Management Development Consortium, PLMDC-TR3-2004, Technical report University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, pp. 1–3.Google Scholar
- 2.Bermell-Garcia, P., Fan, I.S. (2008) Practitioner requirements for integrated knowledge-based engineering in product lifecycle management. International Journal of Product Lifecycle Management, 3(1):3–20, doi:10.1504/IJPLM.2008.019968.Google Scholar
- 3.Enovia, I. (2009) ENOVIA – PLM Solutions – 3D Digital Collaboration – ENOVIA VPLM products – Dassault Systèmes, www.3ds.com/products/enovia/portfolio/enovia-v5/enovia-vplm/all-products/ Accessed 9 December 2009.
- 5.Pugliese, D., Colombo, G., Spurio, M. (2007) About the integration between KBE and PLM. Advances in Life Cycle Engineering for Sustainable Manufacturing Businesses, Springer, London, ISBN 978-1-84628-934-7, pp. 131–136.Google Scholar
- 6.OMG (2005) KBE Services for PLM – RFP.Google Scholar
- 11.Danjou, S., Lupa, N., Koehler, P. (2008) Approach for automated product modeling using knowledge-based design features. Computer-Aided Design & Applications, 5:622–629.Google Scholar
- 13.Milton, N. (2008) Knowledge Technologies. Polimetrica, Monza.Google Scholar
- 14.Prasad, B. (2005) What distinguishes KBE from automation. www.coe.org/coldfusion/newsnet/Jun05/knowledge.cfm#1. Accessed 2 December 2009.
- 16.Oldham, K., Kneebone, S., Callot, M., Murton, A., Brimble, R. (1998) MOKA – A methodology and tools oriented to knowledge-based engineering applications. Changing the ways we work: Shaping the ICT-solutions for the next century, Göteborg, 198.Google Scholar
- 19.Abad-Kelly, J., Cebrián, D.P., Chulvi, V. (2009) An ontology-based approach to integrating life cycle analysis and computer aided design. Selected proceedings from the 12th International Congress on Project Engineering: Zaragoza, July 2008, ISBN 978-84-613-3557-2, pp. 161–172.Google Scholar
- 20.IBM C (2009) IBM – CATIA Product Synthesis Discipline – All products in this discipline, www-01.ibm.com/software/applications/plm/catiav5/disciplines/prodsynth/products.html. Accessed 8 December 2009.
- 21.Crnkovic, I., Asklund, U., Dahlqvist, A.P. (2003) Implementing and Integrating Product Data Management and Software Configuration Management. Artech House Publishers, Norwood, ISBN 1-58053-498-8.Google Scholar
- 22.VDI 2230 (2003) Systematic Calculation of High Duty Bolted Joints: Joints with One Cylindrical Bolt. VDI-Verlag, Düsseldorf.Google Scholar
- 23.Ansaldi, S., Bragatto, P., Camossi, E., Giannini, F., Monti, M., Pittiglio, P. (2006) A knowledge-based tool for risk prevention on pressure equipments. Computer-Aided Design & Applications, 3:99–108.Google Scholar
- 24.W3C (2004) OWL Web Ontology Language Overview. www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-features-20040210/#s2. Accessed 10 December 2009.
- 26.Sattler, U. (2010) Description Logic Reasoners. www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/~sattler/reasoners.html. Accessed 10 December 2009.
- 27.W3C (2009) ManchesterSyntax – OWL. www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/ManchesterSyntax. Accessed 14 December 2009.
- 30.Bermell-Garcıá, P., Fan, I.S. (2002) A KBE system for the design of wind tunnel models using reusable knowledge components. International Congress on Project Engineering, Barcelona, pp. 23–25.Google Scholar