Knowledge Management for Mass Customization
Nowadays is the era of mass customization which satisfies the more demanding customers who seek uniqueness. Nevertheless it is not that evident to put in place such a strategy, many difficulties have to be handled at first. Products should be designed for mass customization, and then they should be manufactured and delivered specifically for a specific customer. Therefore an efficient information sharing and knowledge management are crucial for MC, for the main issue of MC is to correctly communicate customer desires. This article discusses how KM is an enabler for MC in the light of a European project DOROTHY.
KeywordsMass customization Knowledge management Product design
The European Commission through DOROTHY Project: Design of customer driven shoes and multi-site factory (NO. FP7-NMP-2007-3.3-1), has Partly funded this work. The authors would like to acknowledge the Commission for their Support. We also wish to acknowledge our gratitude and appreciation to all the DOROTHY project partners for their contribution during the development of various ideas and concepts presented in this chapter.
- 4.Davis, S.M. (1987) Future Perfect. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA.Google Scholar
- 7.Pine, B.J. (1993) Mass Customization: The New Frontier in Business Competition. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.Google Scholar
- 8.Hart, C.W.L. (1995) Mass customization: Conceptual underpinnings, opportunities and limits. International Journal of Service Operations, 6:36–45.Google Scholar
- 11.Blecker, T., Abdelkafi, N., Kaluza, B., Friedrich, G. (2006) Controlling variety-induced complexity in mass customisation: A key metrics-based approach. International Journal of Mass Customisation, 1:272–298.Google Scholar
- 18.DOROTHY. Design of customer driven shoes and multi-site factory: http://https://web.ttsnetwork.net/dorothy/pages/index.jsp, Accessed 1.1.2010.
- 19.D1.2 deliverable- DOROTHY (April 2010) Design of customer driven shoes and multi-site factory. http://https://web.ttsnetwork.net/dorothy/pages/index.jsp.