An Orthogonal Curvature Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor Array for Shape Reconstruction
An orthogonal curvature fiber Bragg grating (FBG) sensor array is introduced, and it can detect the deformation and vibration of flexible structures such as rod, keel, etc. The sensor array composed of 20 sensors which were averagely distributed on four optical fibers was mounted on the body of cylindrical shape memory alloy(SMA) substrate with staggered orthogonal arrangement. By the method of calibration, the relation coefficient between curvature and wavelength shift was obtained and the curvature of sensor was calculated accordingly, then, the space shape was reconstructed with the help of the space curve fitting method based on curvature information of discrete points. In this paper, the operation principle, the design, packaging, calibration of FBG sensor array and the method of experiment were expounded in detail. The experiment result shows that the reconstructed spatial shape is lively, thus indicates that the relevant method and technology are feasible and practicable.
KeywordsFiber Bragg grating sensor array orthogonal curvature sensor package shape reconstruction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rapp, S., Kang, L., Han, J., Mueller, U., Baier, H.: Displacement Field Estimation for a Two-Dimensional Structure Using Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors. Smart Materials and Structures 18, 025006, 12 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Xiaojin, Z., Meiyu, L., Hao, C., Xiaoyu, Z.: 3D Reconstruction Method of Space Manipulator Vibration Shape Based on Structural Curvatures. In: 8th International Conference on Electronic Measurement and Instruments, pp. 2772–2775. IEEE Press, Xian (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Tiwari, U., Mishra, V., Jain, S., Kesavan, K., Ravisankar, K., Singh, N., Poddar, G., Kapur, P.: Health Monitoring of Steel and Concrete Structures Using Fibre Bragg Grating Sensors. Current Science 11, 1539–1543 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Hongchao, F., Jinwu, Q., Yanan, Z., Linyong, S.: Vibration Intelligent Test of Large-scale Flexible Surface. Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 7, 202–208 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Dulieu-Barton, J.M., Quinn, S., Ye, C.C.: Optical Fibre Bragg Grating Strain Sensors: Modern Stress and Strain Analysis. Eureka Magazine, 1–2 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, X., Li, X.: Design, Fabrication and Characterization of Optical Microring Sensors on Metal Substrates. Micromechanics and Microengineering 18, 015025–31 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Buqing, S.: Differential Geometry. Higher Education Press, Beijing (1979)Google Scholar