Implementing MPI on Windows: Comparison with Common Approaches on Unix
Commercial HPC applications are often run on clusters that use the Microsoft Windows operating system and need an MPI implementation that runs efficiently in the Windows environment. The MPI developer community, however, is more familiar with the issues involved in implementing MPI in a Unix environment. In this paper, we discuss some of the differences in implementing MPI on Windows and Unix, particularly with respect to issues such as asynchronous progress, process management, shared-memory access, and threads. We describe how we implement MPICH2 on Windows and exploit these Windows-specific features while still maintaining large parts of the code common with the Unix version. We also present performance results comparing the performance of MPICH2 on Unix and Windows on the same hardware. For zero-byte MPI messages, we measured excellent shared-memory latencies of 240 and 275 nanoseconds on Unix and Windows, respectively.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Buntinas, D., Goglin, B., Goodell, D., Mercier, G., Moreaud, S.: Cache-efficient, intranode, large-message MPI communication with MPICH2-Nemesis. In: Proc. of the 2009 International Conference on Parallel Processing, pp. 462–469 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Buntinas, D., Mercier, G., Gropp, W.: Design and evaluation of Nemesis, a scalable, low-latency, message-passing communication subsystem. In: Proc. of 6th IEEE/ACM Int’l Symp. on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGrid) (May 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Deino MPI, http://mpi.deino.net/
- 7.Message Passing Interface Forum: MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard, Version 2.2 (September 2009), http://www.mpi-forum.org
- 8.MPICH2 – A high-performance portable implementation of MPI, http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich2
- 9.MPI.NET: A high performance MPI library for.NET applications, http://osl.iu.edu/research/mpi.net/
- 10.Microsoft MPI, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb524831(VS.85).aspxGoogle Scholar
- 11.NetPIPE: A network protocol independent performance evaluator, http://www.scl.ameslab.gov/netpipe/
- 12.Network Direct: A low latency RDMA network API for Windows. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc9043(v=VS.85).aspxGoogle Scholar
- 13.Open MPI, http://www.open-mpi.org
- 14.Open Portable Atomics library, https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/openpa/wiki
- 15.OSU Micro-Benchmarks (OMB), http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/benchmarks/
- 16.Top500 list (November 2008), http://www.top500.org/lists/2008/11