The Complexity of Codiagnosability for Discrete Event and Timed Systems
In this paper we study the fault codiagnosis problem for discrete event systems given by finite automata (FA) and timed systems given by timed automata (TA). We provide a uniform characterization of codiagnosability for FA and TA which extends the necessary and sufficient condition that characterizes diagnosability. We also settle the complexity of the codiagnosability problems both for FA and TA and show that codiagnosability is PSPACE-complete in both cases. For FA this improves on the previously known bound (EXPTIME) and for TA it is a new result. Finally we address the codiagnosis problem for TA under bounded resources and show it is 2EXPTIME-complete.
KeywordsFault Diagnosis Discrete Event Turing Machine Finite Automaton Discrete Event System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Sampath, M., Sengupta, R., Lafortune, S., Sinnamohideen, K., Teneketzis, D.: Diagnosability of discrete event systems. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 40(9) (September 1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Jiang, S., Huang, Z., Chandra, V., Kumar, R.: A polynomial algorithm for testing diagnosability of discrete event systems. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 46(8) (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Basilio, J., Lafortune, S.: Robust codiagnosability of discrete event systems. In: Society, I.C. (ed.) Proceedings of the American Control Conference (ACC 2009), pp. 2202–2209 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Holzmann, G.J.: Software model checking with spin. Advances in Computers 65, 78–109 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Cassez, F.: The complexity of codiagnosability for discrete event and timed systems. Research report, National ICT Australia, 24 pages, document available from arXiv (April 2010), http://arxiv.org/abs/1004.2550
- 16.Kozen, D.: Lower bounds for natural proof systems. In: FOCS, pp. 254–266. IEEE, Los Alamitos (1977)Google Scholar
- 18.Cassez, F.: A Note on Fault Diagnosis Algorithms. In: 48th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and 28th Chinese Control Conference, Shanghai, P.R. China. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (December 2009)Google Scholar