SOPLE-DE: An Approach to Design Service-Oriented Product Line Architectures
Software reuse is crucial for enterprises interested in software quality and productivity gains. In this context, Software Product Line (SPL) and Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) are two reuse strategies that share common goals and can be used together to increase reuse and produce service-oriented systems faster, cheaper and customizable to specific customers. In this sense, this work investigates the problem of designing software product lines using service-oriented architectures, and presents a systematic approach to design software product lines based on services. The proposed approach provides guidance to identify, design and document architectural components, services, service compositions and their associated flows. In addition, an initial experimental study performed with the intention of validating and refining the approach is also depicted demonstrating that the proposed solution can be viable.
KeywordsService-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Software Product Line (SPL) Software Architecture and Software Development Processes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Krueger, C.W.: Software reuse. ACM Computing Surveys 24(2) (1992)Google Scholar
- 2.Medeiros, F.M., de Almeida, E.S., Meira, S.R.L.: Towards an approach for service-oriented product line architectures. In: SOAPL 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Boffoli, N., Caivano, D., Castelluccia, D., Maggi, F.M., Visaggio, G.: Business process lines to develop service-oriented architectures through the software product lines paradigm. In: SOAPL, pp. 143–147 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Lee, J., Muthig, D., Naab, M.: An approach for developing service-oriented product lines. In: SPLC, pp. 275–284. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Clements, P., Northrop, L.: Software Product Lines: Practices and Patterns. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Booch, G.: Managing the Object-Oriented Project. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1995)Google Scholar
- 7.Günther, S., Berger, T.: Service-oriented product lines: Towards a development process and feature management model for web services. In: SOAPL (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Arsanjani, A.: Service-oriented modeling and architecture. Technical report, Service-Oriented Architecture and Web services Center of Excellence, IBM (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Bass, L., Clements, P., Kazman, R.: Software Architecture in Practices. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., Boston (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Medeiros, F.M.: An approach to design service-oriented product line architectures. Master’s thesis, Federal University of Pernambuco (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Basili, V., Caldiera, G., Rombach, D.H.: The goal question metric approach. In: Encyclopedia of Software Engineering. Wiley, Chichester (1994)Google Scholar