Towards the Secure Modelling of OLAP Users’ Behaviour
Information Security is a crucial aspect for organizations, and must be considered during the development of Information Systems. The data in Data Warehouses (DWs) are highly sensitive since they manage historical information which is used to make strategic decisions, and security constraints should therefore be included in DW modelling within its structural aspects. However, another dynamic security component is also related to the sequences of OLAP (On-Line Analytical Processing) operations, and could be used to access (or infer) unauthorized information. This paper complements the modelling of DWs with state models, which permit the modelling of these dynamic situations in which sensitive information could be inferred. That is, it models queries that include security issues, and controls that their evolution through the application of OLAP operations always leads to authorized states. Finally, our proposal has been applied to a healthcare case study in which a DW manages admissions information with various security constraints.
KeywordsData Warehouses OLAP Users Behaviour Query Evolution State Models Security Inference Healthcare
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Inmon, H.: Building the Data Warehouse, 3rd edn. John Wiley & Sons, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Kimball, R.: The Data Warehouse Toolkit. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Lodderstedt, T., Basin, D., Doser, J.: SecureUML: A UML-based modeling language for model-driven security. In: Jézéquel, J.-M., Hussmann, H., Cook, S. (eds.) UML 2002. LNCS, vol. 2460, p. 426. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Mouratidis, H., Giorgini, P.: Integrating Security and Software Engineering: Advances and Future Vision. Idea Group Publishing, USA (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Jurjens, J.: Principles for Secure Systems Design, PhD Thesis, Oxford University (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Saltor, F., et al.: Building Secure Data Warehouse Schemas from Federated Information Systems. In: Bestougeff, H., Dubois, J.E., Thuraisingham, B. (eds.) Heterogeneous Inf. Exchange and Organizational Hubs, pp. 123–134. Kluwer Academic Publisher, Dordrecht (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Trujillo, J., et al.: An Engineering Process for Developing Secure Data Warehouses. Information and Software Technology 51(6) (2009)Google Scholar