Finding Inner Copy Communities Using Social Network Analysis
Nowadays, the technology usage is a massive practice where internet and digital documents are considered as powerful tools in both professional and personal domains. Although, as useful as they can be in a proper way, wrong practices can appear easily, where the copy & paste or plagiarism phenomenon is not far away from this. Documents’ copy & paste is a world-wide growing practice, and Chile is not the exception. Therefore, all levels of educational fields, from elementary school to graduate students, are directly affected by this. Regarding to this concern, in Chile it’s been decided to tackle the plagiarism problem among students. For this, we apply Social Network Analysis to discover groups of people associated to each other by their documents’ similarity in a plagiarism detection context. Experiments were successfully performed in real reports of graduate students at University of Chile.
KeywordsSocial Network Analysis Copy Detection Site Source Plagiarism Detection Massive Practice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Batagelj, V., Mrvar, A.: Network analysis of texts. In: Erjavec, T., Gros, J. (eds.) Proc. of the 5th International Multi-Conference Information Society - Language Technologies, pp. 143–148 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Ceska, Z.: The future of copy detection techniques. In: Proceedings of the 1st Young Researchers Conference on Applied Sciences (YRCAS 2007), Pilsen, Czech Republic, pp. 5–107 (November 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.de Nooy, W., Mrvar, A., Batagelj, V.: Exploratory Social Network Analysis with Pajek. Cambridge University Press, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Maurer, H., Kulathuramaiyer, N.: Coping with the copy-paste-syndrome. In: Bastiaens, T., Carliner, S. (eds.) Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2007, Quebec City, Canada, pp. 1071–1079. AACE (October 2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Potthast, M., Stein, B., Eiselt, A., Barrón-Cedeño, A., Rosso, P.: Overview of the 1st International Competition on Plagiarism Detection. In: Stein, B., Rosso, P., Stamatatos, E., Koppel, M., Agirre, E. (eds.) SEPLN 2009 Workshop on Uncovering Plagiarism, Authorship, and Social Software Misuse (PAN 2009), pp. 1–9 (September 2009), CEUR-WS.org
- 11.Ríos, S.A., Aguilera, F., Guerrero, L.A.: Virtual communities of practice’s purpose evolution analysis using a concept-based mining approach. In: Velásquez, J.D., Ríos, S.A., Howlett, R.J., Jain, L.C. (eds.) Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems. LNCS, vol. 5712, pp. 480–489. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Vandehey, M.A., Diekhoff, G.M., LaBeff, E.E.: College cheating: A twenty-year follow-up and the addition of an honor code. Journal of College Student Development, 468–480 (2007)Google Scholar