Detecting Road Intersections from GPS Traces
- 1.8k Downloads
As an alternative to expensive road surveys, we are working toward a method to infer the road network from GPS data logged from regular vehicles. One of the most important components of this problem is to find road intersections. We introduce an intersection detector that uses a localized shape descriptor to represent the distribution of GPS traces around a point. A classifier is trained on the shape descriptor to discriminate intersections from non-intersections, and we demonstrate its effectiveness with an ROC curve. In a second step, we use the GPS data to prune the detected intersections and connect them with geometrically accurate road segments. In the final step, we use the iterative closest point algorithm to more accurately localize the position of each intersection. We train and test our method on GPS data gathered from regular vehicles in the Seattle, WA, USA area. The tests show we can correctly find road intersections.
KeywordsGPS road map road network intersection detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Haklay, M., Weber, P.: OpenStreetMap: User-Generated Street Maps. In: IEEE Pervasive Computing, pp. 12–18 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Tavakoli, M., Rosenfeld, A.: Building and Road Extraction from Aerial Photographs. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics SMC-12(1), 84–91 (1982)Google Scholar
- 4.Barsia, A., Heipkeb, C.: Artificial Neural Networks for the Detection of Road Junctions in Aerial Images. In: The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, Munich, Germany, pp. 113–118 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Rogers, S., Langley, P., Wilson, C.: Mining GPS Data to Augment Road Models. In: International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 104–113 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Guo, T., Iwamura, K., Koga, M.: Towards High Accuracy Road Maps Generation from Massive GPS Traces Data. In: IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, pp. 667–670 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Bruntrup, R., et al.: Incremental Map Generation with GPS Traces. IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems, 574–579 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Worrall, S., Nebot, E.: Automated Process for Generating Digitised Maps through GPS Data Compression. In: Australasian Conference on Robotics and Automation, Brisbane, Australia (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Viola, P., Jones, M.: Rapid Object Detection using a Boosted Cascade of Simple Features. In: Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2001), p I-511– I-518 (2001)Google Scholar