GPGCD, an Iterative Method for Calculating Approximate GCD, for Multiple Univariate Polynomials
We present an extension of our GPGCD method, an iterative method for calculating approximate greatest common divisor (GCD) of univariate polynomials, to multiple polynomial inputs. For a given pair of polynomials and a degree, our algorithm finds a pair of polynomials which has a GCD of the given degree and whose coefficients are perturbed from those in the original inputs, making the perturbations as small as possible, along with the GCD. In our GPGCD method, the problem of approximate GCD is transferred to a constrained minimization problem, then solved with the so-called modified Newton method, which is a generalization of the gradient-projection method, by searching the solution iteratively. In this paper, we extend our method to accept more than two polynomials with the real coefficients as an input.
KeywordsNewton Method Full Rank Great Common Divisor Algebraic Computation Univariate Polynomial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Emiris, I.Z., Galligo, A., Lombardi, H.: Certified approximate univariate GCDs. J. Pure Appl. Algebra 117/118, 229–251 (1997), Algorithms for algebra (Eindhoven, 1996) Google Scholar
- 8.Zhi, L.: Displacement structure in computing approximate GCD of univariate polynomials. In: Computer mathematics: Proc. Six Asian Symposium on Computer Mathematics (ASCM 2003), River Edge, NJ. Lecture Notes Ser. Comput., vol. 10, pp. 288–298. World Sci. Publ. (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Kaltofen, E., Yang, Z., Zhi, L.: Approximate greatest common divisors of several polynomials with linearly constrained coefficients and singular polynomials. In: Proceedings of the 2006 International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, pp. 169–176. ACM, New York (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Zeng, Z.: The approximate GCD of inexact polynomials, Part I: a univariate algorithm (extended abstract), 8 p. (2004) (preprint)Google Scholar
- 15.Ohsako, N., Sugiura, H., Torii, T.: A stable extended algorithm for generating polynomial remainder sequence. Trans. Japan Soc. Indus. Appl. Math. 7(3), 227–255 (1997) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 16.Sanuki, M., Sasaki, T.: Computing approximate GCDs in ill-conditioned cases. In: SNC 2007: Proceedings of the 2007 International Workshop on Symbolic-Numeric Computation, pp. 170–179. ACM, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.Terui, A.: GPGCD, an iterative method for calculating approximate GCD of univariate polynomials, with the complex coefficients. In: Proceedings of the Joint Conference of ASCM 2009 and MACIS 2009. COE Lecture Note., Faculty of Mathematics, vol. 22, pp. 212–221. Kyushu University (December 2009)Google Scholar