On the Use of Emerging Design as a Basis for Knowledge Collaboration
Abstractions in software engineering have been used for guidance and understanding of software systems. Design in particular is a key abstraction in this regard. However, design is often a static representation that does not evolve with the code and therefore cannot help developers in collaborating after it becomes out-of-date. Our research group is exploring the use of Emerging Design, a dynamic abstraction, as the basis for knowledge collaboration through its implementation in a coordination portal called Lighthouse. This paper presents the state of the art of Lighthouse and discusses three knowledge collaboration problems that we are currently addressing.
KeywordsSource Code Original Design Class Diagram Software Quality Code Change
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kantor, M., Zimmermann, B., Redmiles, D.: From group memory to project awareness through use of the knowledge depot. In: CSS 1997: California Software Symposium (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Herbsleb, J.D., Mockus, A., Finholt, T.A., Grinter, R.E.: An empirical study of global software development: distance and speed. In: ICSE 2001: Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Software Engineering, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 81–90. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2001)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Livingston, J., Prosise, K., Altizer, R.: Process improvement matrix: A tool for measuring progress toward better quality. In: Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Software Quality (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Boehm, B.W., Brown, J.R., Lipow, M.: Quantitative evaluation of software quality. In: ICSE 1976: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Software Engineering, pp. 592–605. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1976)Google Scholar
- 10.O’Reilly, C., Bustard, D., Morrow, P.: The war room command console: shared visualizations for inclusive team coordination. In: SoftVis 2005: Proceedings of the 2005 ACM symposium on Software visualization, pp. 57–65. ACM, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Sarma, A., Noroozi, Z., van der Hoek, A.: Palantír: raising awareness among configuration management workspaces. In: ICSE 2003: Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Software Engineering, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 444–454. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar