Path Optimization of Dual Airfoils Flapping in a Biplane Configuration with RSM in a Parallel Computing Environment
The path of dual airfoils in a biplane configuration undergoing a combined, non–sinusoidal pitching and plunging motion is optimized for maximum thrust and/or propulsive efficiency. The non–sinusoidal, periodic flapping motion is described using Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines (NURBS). The Response Surface Methodology (RSM) is employed for the optimization of NURBS parameters in a parallel computing environment. A gradient based optimization algorithm, steepest ascent method is started from the optimum point of response surfaces. Unsteady, low speed laminar flows are also computed in parallel using a Navier-Stokes solver based on domain decomposition. It is shown that the parallel optimization process with RSM suggests a quick and accurate initial guess for a gradient based optimization algorithm.
KeywordsResponse Surface Methodology Path Optimization Wall Clock Time Steep Ascent Maximum Thrust
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T.J. Mueller (editor), Fixed and Flapping Wing Aerodynamics for Micro Air Vehicles, AIAA Progress in Aeronautics and Astronautics, Vol 195, Reston, VA, 2001.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Kaya and I.H. Tuncer, ”Path Optimization of Flapping Airfoils Based on NURBS”, Proceedings of Parallel CFD 2006 Conference, Busan, Korea, May 15-18, 2006.Google Scholar
- 6.D. H. Van Campen, R. Nagtegaal and A. J. G. Schoofs, Approximation methods in structural optimization using experimental designs for for multiple responses, in H. Eschenauer, J. Koski and A. Osyczka (eds.), Multicriteria Design Optimization, Springer, Berlin, 1990, pp. 205-228.Google Scholar
- 7.Box, G. E. P. and Behnken, D. W., Some new three level designs for the study of quantitative variables, Technometrics, Vol. 2, pp. 455475.Google Scholar
- 8.M. Kaya, I.H. Tuncer, K.D. Jones and M.F. Platzer, ”Optimization of Flapping Motion of Airfoils in Biplane Configuration for Maximum Thrust and/or Efficiency”, AIAA Paper, No 2007-0484, Jan 2007.Google Scholar
- 9.L. Piegl and W. Tiller, The NURBS Book, 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1997.Google Scholar