Scalability Considerations of a Parallel Flow Solver on Large Computing Systems
In this paper, we present scalability characteristics of a parallel flow solver on two large computing systems. The flow solver is based cell-centered finite volume discretizations along with explicit and implicit time integration methodologies. It has capability to solve moving body problems using Overset grid approach. Overset option is yet in sequential form. This solver is compared with another in-house flow solver for the parallel performance on two large-scale parallel computing platforms up to 2048 number of processors. Parallel timing performance of the solver was analyzed using the Vampir timing tool for DLR-F6 wing body configuration with 18 million elements. Timing of the Overset component was tested for a butterfly valve flow problem in a channel.
Key wordsParallel CFD Overset Grid unstructured grid parallel performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vampire performance tool: http://www.vampir.eu.
- 2.Brunst, H. Winkler, M., Nagel, W.E., and Hoppe, H. C.: Performance Optimization for Large Scale Computing: The Scalable VAMPIR Approach. International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS2001) Workshop on Tools and Environments for Parallel and Distributed Programming, San Francisco, CA (2001).Google Scholar
- 3.Reed, D.A. Roth, P.C. Aydt, R.A. Shields, K.A. Tavera, L.F. Noe, R.J. Schwartz, B.W.: Scalable Performance Analysis: the Pablo Performance Analysis Environment. Proceedings of Scalable Parallel Libraries Conference (1993).Google Scholar
- 5.Miller, B. P., Callaghan, M.D., Cargille, J. M., Hollingsworth, J. K., Irvin, R. B., Karavanic, K. L., Kunchithapadam, K., and Newhall, T.: The Paradyn Parallel Performance Measurement Tool. IEEE Computer 28, 11: 37-46. Special issue on performance evaluation tools for parallel and distributed computer systems (1995).Google Scholar
- 6.Meakin, R.L. and Suhs, N.E.: Unsteady Aerodynamic Simulation of Multiple Bodies in Relative Motion. AIAA-89-1996-CP (1989).Google Scholar
- 7.Togashi, F., Ito, Y., and Nakahashi, K.: Extension of Overset Unstructured Grid to Multiple Bodies in Contact. AIAA 2002-2809 (2002).Google Scholar
- 8.Noack, R.W.: DiRTLiB: A Library to Add an Overset Capability to Your Flow Solver. AIAA Paper 2005-5116, 17th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (2005).Google Scholar
- 9.Noack, R.W.: SUGGAR: A General Capability for Moving Body Overset Grid Assembly. AIAA Paper 2005-5117, 17th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (2005).Google Scholar
- 10.Frink, N.T.: Assessment of an Unstructured-Grid Method for Predicting 3-D Turbulent Viscous Flows. AIAA Paper 96-0292 (1996).Google Scholar
- 11.Uzun, A., Akay, H.U., and Bronnenberg, C.: Parallel Computations of Unsteady Euler Equations on Dynamically Deforming Unstructured Grids. Parallel CFD ’99 Proceedings, Edited by D. Keyes, et al., Elsevier Science, pp. 415-422 (2000).Google Scholar
- 13.Van Leer, B.: Flux-Vector Splitting for the Euler Equations. Eighth International Conference on Numerical Methods in Fluid Dynamics, E. Krause, ed., Volume 170 of Lecture Notes in Physics, Springer-Verlag, pp. 507-512 (1982).Google Scholar
- 14.Anderson, W.K.: Grid Generation and Flow Solution Method for Euler Equations on Unstructured Grids. NASA TM- 4295 (1992)Google Scholar
- 15.Spalart, P.R. and Allmaras, S.R.: A One-Equation Turbulence Model for Aerodynamic Flows. AIAA Paper 92-0439 (1992).Google Scholar
- 16.Bronnenberg, C.E.: GD: A General Divider User’s Manual - An Unstructured Grid Partitioning Program. CFD Laboratory, IUPUI (1999).Google Scholar
- 18.Payli, R.U., Yilmaz, E., Akay, H.U., and Ecer, A.: Impact of the TeraGrid on Large-Scale Simulations and Visualizations. Parallel CFD 2007, Antalya, Turkey, May 21-24 (2007).Google Scholar
- 20.Morrris, M., Dutton, J., and Addy A.L.: Peak Torque Characteristics of Butterfly Valves. Proceedings of the Forum on Industrial Applications of Fluid Mechanics, ASME FED-Vol. 54, pp. 63–66 (1987).Google Scholar