Flow–Induced Oscillation of a Flat Plate – A Fluid–Structure–Interaction Study Using Experiment and LES
The research unit FOR 493 tackles the challenging task of fluid-structure interaction (FSI). On the one hand, the objective is to provide reliable experimental reference data for all groups which are developing numerical methodologies to predict such coupled FSI problems. Since measurements on fluid-structure interaction setups using welldefined boundary and operating conditions are rare, the present Particle Image Velocimetry and excitation measurements for a swiveling flat plate support to fill a gap by providing phase-resolved data of this useful test case. On the other hand, the objective is to develop numerical methods for coupled FSI investigations which involve turbulent flows. Thus, an especially designed coupling scheme to be used in combination with the large-eddy simulation technique was set up and applied to study the flow around the hinged flat plate and the development of self-excited periodic processes with rotary oscillation of the flat plate.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Naudascher, E., Rockwell, D.: Flow-Induced Vibrations - An Engineering Guide. A. A. Balkema, Rotterdam (1980)Google Scholar
- 2.Pereira Gomes, J., Lienhart, H.: Reference Test Cases for Fluid-Structure Interaction Studies. In: Int. Workshop on Fluid-Structure Interaction: Theory, Numerics and Applications, Herrsching am Ammersee, Germany, September 29-October 1 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Pereira Gomes, J., Lienhart, H.: Experimental Study on a Fluid–Structure Interaction Reference Test Case. LNCSE, vol. 53. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Breuer, M., Münsch, M.: Fluid–Structure Interaction Using LES – A Partitioned Coupled Predictor–Corrector Scheme. In: 78th Annual GAMM Meeting, Universität Bremen, Germany, March 31-April 4 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Breuer, M., Münsch, M.: LES Meets FSI – Important Numerical and Modeling Aspects. In: Seventh Int. ERCOFTAC Workshop on DNS and LES: DLES-7, Trieste, Italy, September 8-10 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Breuer, M., Münsch, M.: FSI of the Turbulent Flow around a Swiveling Flat Plate Using Large–Eddy Simulation. In: Int. Workshop on Fluid-Structure Interaction: Theory, Numerics and Applications, Herrsching am Ammersee, Germany, September 29-October 1 (2008)Google Scholar