Portrait: Portraying Individuality
People with dementia who live in care homes can have very little social interaction. Care staff have limited time to spend with each person and communication difficulties can make it difficult to get to know the person with dementia as a person. This paper presents Portrait a software tool to enable care staff to get to know a person with dementia quickly. An initial usability study was carried out to evaluate the system with inexperienced computer users. The study was conducted in two iterations collecting data on ease of use, preference of features, level of training required and how engaging Portrait was to use. Overall Portrait was very positively recieved with no major usability issues and all participants rated the system as either engaging or very engaging and fun to use.
KeywordsMultimedia Dementia Personality Person Centred Care Aid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ward, R., Vass, A.A., Aggarwal, N., Garfield, C., Cybyk, B.: What is dementia care? Dementia is communication. Journal of Dementia Care 13(6), 16–19 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Ward, R., et al.: A different story: exploring patterns of communication in residential dementia care. Aging & Society 28, 629–651 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Kennard, C.: Life Stories. About Inc. (2006), http://alzheimers.about.com/od/professionalresources/a/life_stories.htm (accessed: September 3, 2008)
- 11.Mulvenna, et al.: Reminiscence Systems. In: HCI 2009, Cambridge, UK, September 1-5 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Albinsson, P., Zhai, S.: High Precision Touch Screen Interaction. In: CHI 2003, April 5-10. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Mahmud, M., Kurniawan, S.H.: Involving Psychometric Tests for Input Device Evaluation with Older People. In: Proceedings of OZCHI 2005, Canberra, Australia (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Sankey, Michael D.: Multiple representations in multimedia materials: an issue of literacy. In: Mishra, Sanjaya and Sharma, Ramesh C., (eds.) Interactive multimedia in education and training. IGI Publishing (IGI Global), Hershey, PA, United States (2005) Google Scholar