International AT and DfA Standardisation: What Is in the Pipeline?
In this contribution several recent actions in the field of Standardisation related to Assistive Technology and Design for All are reported. The main focus will be on several CEN initiatives, the status of Mandate 376 and the current EU Commission’s plans for issuing a new mandate on the inclusion of "Design for All" in relevant standardisation initiatives.
KeywordsAssistive Technology European Norm User Participation Joint Working Group Award Criterion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISO/IEC Guide 71 is available from ISO and ANSI (page charges do apply); Guide 6 can be, downloaded from, ftp://ftp.cen.eu/BOSS/Reference_Documents/Guides/CEN_CLC/CEN_CLC_6.pdf, Background information is available in the Wikipedia page (maintained by Ch. Strobbe of K.U.Leuven), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEN/CENELEC_Guide_6
- 2.Wikipedia article on CEN/CENELEC Guide 6, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEN/CENELEC_Guide_6#cite_note-11
- 3.Placencia, I., Sindelar, M.: The European Disability Action Plan and Accessibility Standardisation. Presentation made at the final COST219ter Conference, Vision in Action: Accessibility for All to Next Generation Networks, Brussels, February 7 (2008), Can be downloaded from: http://www.tiresias.org/cost219ter/vision_action/sindelar.ppt
- 4.Mandate 420 info on CENELEC wibsite, http://www.cenelec.eu/NR/rdonlyres/144B7979-77EA-4D7D-93C4-0D116C65E6D3/2389/M420en.pdf
- 5.Information based on CEN document N025-2010Google Scholar
- 6.The DfA@eInclusion deliverable D4.5 currently still is an internal document, Details about the planned Workshop can be found at, http://www.cen.eu/cenorm/sectors/sectors/isss/workshops/businessplan2705.pdf
- 7.The new CEN working group is referenced to at: http://www.usem-net.eu/index.php?view=article&id=84%3Aaccessibility-for-all-meeting&Itemid=70&option=com_content
- 8.Hodgkinson, R.: Report on International ICT Accessibility Standards proposed, Being Developed and Recently published, version 10 (June 2009), http://www.tiresias.org/research/standards/report_10.htm
- 9.USEM public website is at: http://www.usem-net.eu
- 10.Strobbe, C., Mosies, C., Bühler, C., Engelen, J.: The project is detailed in the ICCHP 2010 contribution, Stand4All: Promoting More Accessible Standards Through Training of Stakeholders, The STAND4ALL website can be found at, http://www.stand4all.eu
- 11.DfA@eInclusion’s public website is at: http://www.dfaei.org
- 12.Info on the European Design for All Network can be found at: http://www.edean.org
- 13.The three reports mentioned can be downloaded from: Overview on ongoing standardization work (D2.2a): http://www.dfaei.org/docs/D2.2a.pdf, EDEAN-members’ involvement in standardization (D2.4a), http://www.dfaei.edean.org/deliverables/dfaeinclusion%20-%20Del2.4a.pdf, EDEAN Contributions to new Standardisation actions (D2.4b), http://www.esat.kuleuven.be/pub/bscw.cgi/d56873/D2.4b_2009_new_standardisation_items.doc
- 14.The Ariadne document server is reachable via, http://www.edean.org