New Production and Delivery System for Pupils with Disabilities in Austria as Chance for Higher Quality Output
The educational sector is a very diverse field when it comes to the type of content that is being used in the teaching of school pupils. To make these documents accessible and usable needs much more work than just to create a structured document that is readable and navigable for blind and visually impaired pupils. Often, exercise types especially in the first few grades at school very much rely on visual activities for example colour matching, naming of things etc. To make these types of exercises accessible additional work needs to be done. In the last years we have improved the production process of schoolbooks inasmuch as we were able to provide a solid basic accessibility now on which special education teachers can now work on the adaptation of specific exercise types like the above mentioned.
Keywordsdocuments processing OCR service provision workflow metadata print disabled persons accessible publishing ebooks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arbeitsgemeinschaft zur Erstellung der Lehr und Lernmittel für sehgeschädigte Schüler, http://www.integriert-studieren.jku.at/als/ (February 01, 2010)
- 3.Specifications for the Digital Talking Book, http://www.niso.org/workrooms/daisy/Z39-86-2005.html (February 01, 2010)
- 4.The DAISY Pipeline, http://daisymfc.sourceforge.net/ (February 01, 2010)
- 5.Standard ECMA-376, Office Open XML File Formats, http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-376.htm (March 10, 2010)
- 6.Guillon, B., Monteiro, J.-L., Checoury, C., Archambault, D., Burger, D.: Towards an Integrated Publishing Chain for Accessible Multimodal Documents. In: Miesenberger, K., Klaus, J., Zagler, W.L., Burger, D. (eds.) ICCHP 2004. LNCS, vol. 3118, p. 514. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Save As DAISY - Microsoft Word Add-In, http://www.daisy.org/project/save-as-daisy-microsoft (March 10, 2010)
- 8.EasyProducer - Digital talking book creation tool, http://www.yourdolphin.com/productdetail.asp?id=10 (March 10, 2010)
- 9.ADL - Accessible Digital Learningmaterial, http://literatur.integriert-studieren.jku.at (February 01, 2010)