OASES: Online Accessibility Self Evaluation Service – A Web-Based Tool for Education Institutions to Self-Assess the Accessibility of Their Practice
The JISC TechDis service identified a need to move institutions forward in their accessibility ‘maturity’. An ‘Accessibility Maturity Model’ was developed to highlight the stages of development that different institutions were exhibiting. In order to move institutions forward an Online Accessibility Self Evaluation Service (OASES) was created. OASES allows key managers in education institutions to evaluate their own practice, and to benchmark that practice against the anonymised results of their peers. This information can then be used to affect institutional policy and strategy to move their institution to a higher degree of ‘accessibility maturity’.
KeywordsOnline accessibility inclusion self-evaluation benchmarking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.JISC TechDis, http://www.techdis.ac.uk
- 2.HEAT Scheme, http://www.techdis.ac.uk/getheatscheme
- 3.Molenet, http://www.molenet.org.uk
- 4.McNaught, A.: JISC TechDis Senior Management Briefings (2007), www.techdis.ac.uk/getbriefings
- 5.Williams, D.A., Berger, J.B., McClendon, S.A.: Toward a Model of Inclusive Excellence and Change in Postsecondary Institutions. One in a series of three papers commissioned as part of the Making Excellence Inclusive Initiative. Association of American Colleges and Universities (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Simpson, A.: Teachability: Accessible Curriculum for Students with Disabilities. University of Strathclyde (2005), www.teachability.strath.ac.uk
- 7.BRITE: Beattie Resources for Inclusiveness in Technology and Education, http://www.brite.ac.uk
- 8.Open University: Making Your Teaching Inclusive (2006), http://bit.ly/arxmg3
- 9.Ball, S.: Technology Change for Inclusion: 12 Steps Towards Embedding Inclusive Practice with Technology as a Whole Institution Culture in UK Higher Education. JISC TechDis (2009), www.techdis.ac.uk/gettci
- 10.UK Disability Discrimination Act (1995), http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1995/ukpga_19950050_en_1
- 11.JISC Regional Support Centres, http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/services/as_rsc/rsc_home.aspx