Challenges for Norwegian PC-Users with Parkinson’s Disease – A Survey
This paper presents the results from a Norwegian survey on the computer use of people with Parkinson’s disease (PD), conducted through the PIKT project in the summer of 2008. The study shows that nearly 80 % of the user population has significant and severe PD related challenges using a computer. Frequent problem areas include inertia, muscle stiffness, using a computer mouse, tremor and issues related to keyboard and ergonomics. Assistance in optimizing computer use is severely lacking, non-systematic and coincidental, and the employment rate among the respondents is about half of the national average. This paper describes the main findings from this study. It highlights main challenges for the user group in question, confirms national findings on gender, computer illiteracy and usage aspects, paints a picture of the current situation for PC-users with Parkinson’s disease in Norway and discusses the implications of the findings.
KeywordsComputer adaptation Parkinson’s disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dorsey, E.R., Constantinescu, R., Thompson, J.P., Biglan, K.M., Holloway, R.G., Kieburtz, K., Marshall, F.J., Ravina, B.M., Schifitto, G., Siderowf, A., Tanner, C.M.: Projected number of people with Parkinson disease in the most populous nations, 2005 through 2030. Neurology 2007 68(5), 384–386, Epub (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Larsen, J.P.: Parkinsonprosjektet i Stavanger. Nevrologisk avdeling, Sentralsykehuset i Rogaland (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Arntzen, E.: Rehabilitering av personer med Parkinsons sykdom. The Norwegian Parkinson Foundation, Cited from St.meld.34 (1996) Google Scholar
- 5.Tollefsen, M., Nes, M.E.: En sekretær ville løst alle problemer! MediaLT (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Parkinson’s Disease Society, http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/
- 7.Lorentzen, K.: Kjønns- og aldersforskjeller ved bruk av IKT, Digital verden uten eldre kvinner. SSB Statistics, Norway (2008), http://www.ssb.no/ssp/utg/200802/08/
- 8.SSB Statistics Norway: IKT i husholdningene, 2. kvartal (2008), http://www.ssb.no/ikthus/
- 9.SSB Statistics Norway: Register-based employment statistics (4th quarter, 2008), http://www.ssb.no/english/subjects/06/01/regsys_en/
- 10.Begnum, M.E.N.: Improving Computer Interaction for People with Parkinson’s Disease. In: UniTech 2010, Tapir (2010) (Yet to be published)Google Scholar
- 11.Aarsland, D., Pedersen, K.F., Ehrt, U., Bronnick, K., Gjerstad, M.D., Larsen, J.P.: Neuropsychiatric and cognitive symptoms in Parkinson disease. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 128(18), 2072–2076 (2008)Google Scholar