Adaptive Reading: A Design of Reading Browser with Dynamic Alternative Text Multimedia Dictionaries for the Text Reading Difficulty Readers
The effectiveness of reading comprehension on a Reading Browser with Dynamic Alternative Text Multimedia Dictionaries was explored in this paper. Students with text decoding difficulty (N=62) were randomly assigned to one of three modes: auditory mode, pictorial mode, 5 full functions mode. A quasi-experimental design was used to measure reading comprehension. Although differences were not significant among all of the modes, the findings indicate that all modes of Reading Browser with Dynamic Alternative Text Multimedia Dictionaries were successful in promoting reading.
KeywordsReading Browser with Dynamic Alternative Text Multimedia Dictionaries Text Decoding Difficulty Adaptive reading Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker, E.L., Atwood, N.K., Duffy, T.M.: Cognitive Approaches to Assessing the Readability. In: Davidson, A., Green, G.M. (eds.) Linguistic Complexity and Text Comprehension: Readability Issues Reconsidered, pp. 55–83. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., Hillsdale (1988)Google Scholar
- 6.Fredericksen, E., Pickett, A., Shea, P., Pelz, W., Swan, K.: Student Satisfaction and Perceived Learning with Online Courses: Principles and Examples from the SUNY Learning Network. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks 4(2) (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Kieras, D., Just, M.: New Methods in Reading Comprehension Research. Erlbaum, Hillsdale (1984)Google Scholar
- 9.Lowe, C.C.: How to Improve the Instruction of Vocabulary Learning. Mandatory Education 35(3,4), 15–18 (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Mercer, C.D., Mercer, A.R.: Teaching Students with Learning Problems. Merrill Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Torgesen, J.K., Rashotte, C.A., Alexander, A.W.: Principles of Fluency Instruction in Reading: Relationships with Established Empirical Outcomes. In: Wolf, M. (ed.) Dyslexia, Fuency, and the Brain. York Press, Timonium (2001)Google Scholar