Setting the Standards for Haptic and Tactile Interactions: ISO’s Work
Tactile and haptic interaction is becoming increasingly important and ergonomic standards can ensure that systems are designed with sufficient concerns for ergonomics and interoperability. ISO (through working group TC159/SC4/WG9) is working toward international standards, which are being dual-tracked as both ISO and CEN standards. This paper gives an update on the status of the work in progress and the recently published International Standard on tactile/haptic interactions. Active involvement of experts is sought for work on terms and definitions and measures to characterize devices and operator capabilities.
Keywordsguidelines haptics human computer interaction standards tactile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Van Erp, J.B.F.: Guidelines for the use of vibro-tactile displays in human computer interaction. In: Proceedings of Eurohaptics 2002, pp. 18–22 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Van Erp, J.B.F.: The multi-dimensional nature of encoding tactile and haptic interactions: From psychophysics to design guidelines. In: Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 2006, pp. 685–688 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Carter, J., Van Erp, J.B.F.: Ergonomics of tactile and haptic interactions. In: Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 2006, pp. 674–675 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Van Erp, J.B.F., Carter, J., Andrew, I.: ISO’s Work on Tactile and Haptic Interaction Guidelines. In: Proceedings of Eurohaptics 2006, pp. 467–470 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.ISO: Ergonomics of human-system interaction – Part 920: Guidance on tactile and haptic interactions. ISO 9241-920:2009. ISO, Geneva (2009) Google Scholar
- 8.Oakely, I., McGee, M.R., Brewster, S.A., Gray, P.D.: Putting the feel in look and feel? In: Proceedings of Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 415–422 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/
- 10.Gescheider, G.: Psychophysics: Method and Theory. Halsted Press, Mahwah (1976)Google Scholar