Inductive Consequences in the Calculus of Constructions
Extending the calculus of constructions with rewriting would greatly improve the efficiency of proof assistants such as Coq. In this paper we address the issue of the logical power of such an extension.
In our previous work we proposed a procedure to check completeness of user-defined rewrite systems. In many cases this procedure demonstrates that only a basic subset of the rules is sufficient for completeness. Now we investigate the question whether the remaining rules are inductive consequences of the basic subset.
We show that the answer is positive for most practical rewrite systems. It is negative for some systems whose critical pair diagrams require rewriting under a lambda. However the positive answer can be recovered when the notion of inductive consequences is modified by allowing a certain form of functional extensionality.
KeywordsInductive Consequence Type Theory Additional Rule Critical Pair Proof Assistant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Chrząszcz, J.: Modules in Coq are and will be correct. In: Berardi, S., Coppo, M., Damiani, F. (eds.) TYPES 2003. LNCS, vol. 3085, pp. 130–146. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Chrząszcz, J.: Modules in Type Theory with Generative Definitions. PhD thesis, Warsaw University and University Paris-Sud (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.The Coq proof assistant, http://coq.inria.fr/
- 11.Hofmann, M., Streicher, T.: The groupoid model refutes uniqueness of identity proofs. In: LICS 1994, pp. 208–212. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (1994)Google Scholar
- 13.Oury, N.: Extensionality in the calculus of constructions. In: Hurd, J., Melham, T.F. (eds.) TPHOLs 2005. LNCS, vol. 3603, pp. 278–293. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Terese (ed.): Term Rewriting Systems. Cambridge Tracts in Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 55. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Walukiewicz-Chrząszcz, D.: Termination of Rewriting in the Calculus of Constructions. PhD thesis, Warsaw University and University Paris-Sud (2003)Google Scholar
- 18.Walukiewicz-Chrząszcz, D., Chrząszcz, J.: Inductive consequences in the calculus of constructions, http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~chrzaszcz/papers/
- 19.Walukiewicz-Chrząszcz, D., Chrząszcz, J.: Consistency and completeness of rewriting in the calculus of constructions. Logical Methods of Computer Science 4(3) (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Werner, B.: On the strength of proof-irrelevant type theories. Logical Methods in Computer Science 4(3) (2008)Google Scholar