A GPU-Based DVC to H.264/AVC Transcoder
Mobile to mobile video conferencing is one of the services that the newest mobile network operators can offer to users. With the apparition of the distributed video coding paradigm which moves the majority of complexity from the encoder to the decoder, this offering can be achieved by introducing a transcoder. This device has to convert from the distributed video coding paradigm to traditional video coding such as H.264/AVC which is formed by simpler decoders and more complex encoders, and allows to the users to execute only the low complex algorithms. In order to deal with this high complex video transcoder, this paper introduces a graphics processing unit based transcoder as base station. The use of graphic accelerators in this framework has not been proposed before in the literature and offer a new field to explore with promising results. The proposed transcoder offers a time reduction of the whole process over 79% with negligible rate distortion penalty.
KeywordsDistributed Video Coding H.264/AVC Graphic Processing Units Transcoding Heterogeneous Computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ITU-T and ISO/IEC JTC 1: Advanced Video Coding for Generic Audiovisual Services. ITU-T Rec. H.264/AVC and ISO/IEC 14496-10 Version 8 (2007) Google Scholar
- 2.Girod, B., Aaron, A., Rane, S., Monedero, D.R.: Distributed Video Coding. In: Proc. of IEEE Special Issue on Advances in Video Coding and Delivery, vol. 93(1), pp. 1–12 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Peixoto, E., Queiroz, R.L., Mukherjee, D.: A Wyner-Ziv Video Transcoder. IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (to appear, 2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Martínez, J.L., Kalva, H., Fernández-Escribano, G., Fernando, W.A.C., Cuenca, P.: Wyner-Ziv to H.264 video transcoder. In: 16th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Cairo, Egypt, pp. 2941–2944 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Ascenso, J., Brites, C., Pereira, F.: Improving frame interpolation with spatial motion smoothing for pixel domain distributed video coding. In: 5th EURASIP Conference on Speech and Image Processing, Multimedia Communications and Services, Smolenice, Slovak Republic (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.NVIDA, NVIDIA CUDA Compute Unified Device Architecture-Programming Guide, Version 2.2 (February 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Rodriguez, R., Martínez, J.L., Fernández-Escribano, G., Claver, J.M., Sánchez, J.L.: Accelerating H.264 Inter Prediction in a GPU by using CUDA. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, Las Vegas, NV, USA (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.VISNET II project, http://www.visnet-noe.org/ (last visited March 2010)
- 10.Sullivan, G., Bjøntegaard, G.: Recommended Simulation Common Conditions for H.26L Coding Efficiency Experiments on Low-Resolution Progressive-Scan Source Material. ITU-T VCEG, Doc. VCEG-N81 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Joint Video Team (JVT) of ISO/IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, Reference Software to Committee Draft. JVT-F100 JM15.1 (2009)Google Scholar