Multimedia Elements in a Hybrid Multi-Agent System for the Analysis of Web Usability
The widespread use of the World Wide Web by persons from different age groups, diverse cultures, and with different computer skills has put more emphasis in the process of ensuring that web sites and applications are usable. On the other hand we can see how plain text web pages have been replaced by ones in which multimedia information (images, video and audio) are an important part of them. In this context we have developed a multi-agent system for analysing web usability that performs both static and dynamic analysis of web sites. The static analysis can examine certain multimedia issues related to usability (mostly associated with images) and in this paper we also comment on the issues related with video and audio technologies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mosqueira-Rey, E., Alonso-Ríos, D., Vázquez-García, A., Baldonedo del Río, B., Moret-Bonillo, V.: A Multi-Agent System Based on Evolutionary Learning for the Usability Analysis of Websites. In: Nguyen, N.T., Jain, L.C. (eds.) Intelligent Agents in the Evolution of Web and Applications. SCI, vol. 167, pp. 11–34. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Alonso-Ríos, D., Luis-Vázquez, I., Mosqueira-Rey, E., Moret-Bonillo, V.: An HTML analyzer for the study of web usability. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, San Antonio, Texas, USA, pp. 1261–1266 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Nielsen, J.: Designing Web Usability. New Riders, Berkeley (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Nielsen, J., Loranger, H.: Prioritizing Web Usability. New Riders, Berkeley (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Nielsen, J.: Flash: 99% Bad. Jakob Nielsen’s Alertbox (October 2000), http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001029.html (retrieved 2010-02-25)
- 6.Nielsen, J.: Making Flash Usable for Users With Disabilities. Jackob Nielsen’s Alertbox (October 2002), http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021014.html (retrieved 2010-02-25)
- 7.Hudson, R.: Flash and accessibility. Web Usability - Accessibility and Usability services (November 2003), http://www.usability.com.au/resources/flash.cfm (retrieved 2010-02-28)
- 8.Nielsen, J.: Talking-Head Video Is Boring Online. Jakob Nielsen’s Alertbox (December 2005), http://www.useit.com/alertbox/video.html (retrieved 2010-02-25)