A User-Centric Evaluation of the Europeana Digital Library
- 1.5k Downloads
Usability of digital libraries is an essential factor for the user attraction. Europeana, a digital library which is built around the idea to provide a single access point to the European cultural heritage, is paying special attention to the user needs and behaviour. This paper presents user-related outcomes addressing the dynamics of user perception from a study which involved focus groups and media labs in four European countries. While Europeana was positively perceived by all groups in the beginning of the study, some groups were more critical after performing a task which involved eight types of searches. The study gathered opinions on the difficulties encountered which help to understand better users’ expectations within the content and functionality domains of digital libraries which would be of possible interest to all stakeholders in digital library projects.
KeywordsUsability digital libraries Europeana
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adams, A., Blandford, A.: Digital libraries support for the user’s ‘Information Journey’. In: 5th ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2005), pp. 160–169. ACM, New York (2005), www.uclic.ucl.ac.uk/annb/docs/aaabJCDL05preprint.pdf CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Blandford, A., Buchanan, G.: Usability of digital libraries: a source of creative tensions with technical developments. TCDL Bulletin (2003), www.ieee-tcdl.org/Bulletin/current/blandford/blandford.htm
- 5.Chowdhury, G.G.: Access and usability issues of scholarly electronic publications. In: Gorman, G.E., Rowland, F. (eds.) International Yearbook of Library and Information Management, 2004/2005, pp. 77–98. Facet Publishing, London (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Chowdhury, G.G., Chowdhury, S.: Introduction to Digital Libraries. Facet Publishing, London (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Dillon, A.: Evaluating on TIME: a framework for the expert evaluation of digital interface usability. International Journal on Digital Libraries 2(2/3) (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Dobreva, M., McCulloch, E., Birrell, D., Feliciati, P., Ruthven, I., Sykes, J., Ünal, Y.: User and Functional Testing. Final report (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Europeana, http://www.europeana.eu/portal/
- 13.Europe’s information society: Thematic portal, http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/digital_libraries/europeana/index_en.htm
- 14.Khoo, M., Buchanan, G., Cunningham, S.J.: Lightweight User-Friendly Evaluation Knowledge for Digital Librarians. D-Lib Magazine 15(7/8) (2009), http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july09/khoo/07khoo.html
- 15.Europeana online survey research report, http://www.edlfoundation.eu/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=e165f7f8-981a-436b-8179-d27ec952b8aa&groupId=10602
- 16.Stelmaszewska, H., Blandford, A.: Patterns of interactions: user behaviour in response to search results (2002), www.uclic.ucl.ac.uk/annb/DLUsability/Stelmaszewska29.pdf