Wireless Monitoring System for Hybrid Power Generation System
The number of Renewable Energy (RE) systems increases due to the low carbon energy policy in most of industrialised countries. In order to ensure the performance of RE sustainable and reduce maintenance costs, remote monitoring systems of RE plant condition and performance are essential. Wireless monitoring systems are easy to install and operate, but requires high cost in general. Radio Frequency technology is relatively cheap, but its transmission range is limited. It is a challenge to establish long range communication between RE plants and the monitoring centre in cost effective way. In this paper, a novel remote condition monitoring system for RE systems is presented, which exploits RF modems in the multi-point link network to make long range communication. The paper illustrates the overview of the proposed system and the results of the field tests implemented with PV+Wind and PV+Wave hybrid power generation systems at land and sea.
KeywordsRenewable Energy Transmission Range Code Division Multiple Access Range Communication Short Route
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Koutroulis, E., Kalaitzakis, K.: Renewable Energy 28, 139–152 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Kalaitzakis, K., Koutroulis, E., Vlachos, V.: Measurement 34, 75–83 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.World Energy Council, 2007 Survey of Energy Resources (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Song, S.: Journal of Air-Conditioningand Refrigeration 20(3), 155–166 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Lessing, P.A.: OCEANS 2003, vol. 4, pp. 1997–2001 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Halsall, F.: Data communications, computer networks and OSI. Addison-wesley publishing company, Reading (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Stallings, W.: Data and computer communications. Prentice-hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Oh, J.-S., Kwak, J.-H.: Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering 29(5), 579–586 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Rashid, H.: Wireless Application Protocol Programming. Hungry Minds (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Weisman, C.J.: The Essential Guide to RF and Wireless. Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar