Discovering User Interests by Document Classification
User interest is one of personal traits attracting researchers’ attention in user modeling and user profiling. User interest competes with user knowledge to become the most important characteristics in user model. Adaptive systems need to know user interests so that provide adaptation to user. For example, adaptive learning systems tailor learning materials (lesson, example, exercise, test...) to user interests. I propose a new approach for discovering user interest based on document classification. The basic idea is to consider user interests as classes of documents. The process of classifying documents is also the process of discovering user interests.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Classification Rule Hide Unit Term Frequency Output Unit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cristianini, N., Shawe-Taylor, J.: An Introduction to Support Vector Machines. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Alrifai, M., Dolog, P., Nejdl, W.: Learner Profile Management for Collaborating Adaptive eLearning Applications. In: APS 2006: Joint International Workshop on Adaptivity, Personalization and the Semantic Web at the 17th ACM Hypertext 2006 conference, Odense, Denmark (August 2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Rojas, R.: Neural Networks: A Systematic Introduction. Springer, Berlin (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Lippmann, R.P.: An introduction to computing with neural nets. IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 1987 (1987)Google Scholar
- 9.Han, J., Kamber, M.: Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques, 2nd edn. Elsevier Inc., Amsterdam (2006)Google Scholar