Experimenting Design and Implementation of an Educational Services Management System Based on ISO/IEC 20000 Standard
European higher education organizations are encouraged to implement quality management practices. Existing quality standards and frameworks do not capitalize an important set of best practices addressing educational services delivery. The ISO/IEC 20000 standard, elaborated from IT service management issues, is widening its field of application and may represent an interesting alternative. A specific approach is needed to apprehend the particular nature of educational services, consider the systemic cooperating roles of educational system and learning system, and define ISO/IEC 20000 vocabulary and concepts adapted to the domain. ISO/IEC 20000 may provide an answer to European Standard Guideline compliance and improve educational services management. The current experimentation is expected to cast light on the complexity, practicality and effectiveness of the use of ISO/IEC 20000 in a first field of “non IT” services.
KeywordsQuality Quality Assurance Service Management Management Systems ISO 9001 ISO/IEC 20000 ESG
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education: Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education (2005), http://www.enqa.net
- 3.Señal, N.C., de la Rosa González, C., Fischer, F.P., Hansen, S.P., Ponds, H.: Internal Quality Assurance and the European Standards and Guidelines, ENQA Workshop report (2008), http://www.enqa.eu/pubs.lasso
- 4.Association Française de Normalisation (AFNOR): NF EN 9001 – Systèmes de management qualité – Exigences (2008), http://www.afnor.org
- 5.ISO : Quality management systems –International Workshop Agreement- Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2000 in education (2007), http://www.iso.org
- 6.International Standard Organisation (ISO) / International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC): ISO/IEC 19796-1, Information technology — Learning, education and training —Quality management, assurance and metrics — Part 1: General approach (2009), http://www.iso.org
- 7.International Standard Organisation (ISO) / International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC): ISO/IEC 20000-1, Technologies de l’information – Gestion des services – Partie 1 : spécifications (2005), http://www.iso.org
- 8.ISO IEC JTC1/SC7/WG25: ISO/IEC FCD 20000-1, Information technology — Service management — Part 1: Service management system requirements (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Vhy, L., Sculli, D.: An application of TQM concepts in Education. Journal: Training for Quality 4(2) (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Vinokur, A.: Mesure de la qualité des services d’enseignement et restructuration des secteurs éducatifs. Cahiers de la recherche sur l’éducation et les savoirs, hors-série 1 (2005)Google Scholar