Embedding Educational Design Pattern Frameworks into Learning Management Systems
Educational design patterns describe reusable solutions to the design of learning tasks and environments. While there are many projects producing patterns, there are few approaches dealing with supporting the instructor/user in instantiating and running those patterns on learning management systems (LMS). This paper aims to make a leap forward in this direction by presenting two different methods of embedding design pattern frameworks into LMS: (1) Supplying custom LMS components as part of the design patterns, and (2) Configuring existing LMS components based on design patterns. Descriptions of implementations and implications of these methods are provided.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Alexander, C., Ishikawa, S., Silverstein, M., Jacobson, M., Fiksdahl-King, I., Angel, S.: A Pattern Language – Towns, Buildings, Construction. Oxford University Press, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 3.Bergin, J.: Fourteen Pedagogical Patterns (2002), http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/PedPat1.3.html
- 4.Pedagogical Patterns Project Homepage (2002), http://www.pedagogicalpatterns.org
- 5.E-LEN Project homepage (2003), http://www.tisip.no/E-LEN/
- 6.Kaleidoscope Network of Excellence: Learning patterns for the design and development of mathematical games (2008), http://lp.noe-kaleidoscope.org
- 8.TELL Project: Towards Effective network supported coLLaborative learning activities (2005), http://cosy.ted.unipi.gr/tell/
- 9.Derntl, M.: Patterns for Person-Centered e-Learning. Aka Verlag, Berlin (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Moodle.org: Moodle – A Free, Open Source Course Management System for Online Learning, http://moodle.org
- 13.dotLRN: .LRN home, http://dotlrn.com/
- 14.Turani, A., Calvo, R.A., Goodyear, P.: An Application Framework for Collaborative Learning. In: Proc. International Conference on Web Engineering, Sydney, Australia (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.IMS Global: IMS Learning Design Specification (2003), http://www.imsglobal.org/learningdesign/index.cfm
- 16.Mangler, J., Derntl, M.: CEWebS - Cooperative Environment Web Services. In: Proc. 4th International Conference on Knowledge Management, Graz, Austria (2004)Google Scholar