Analysis of a PDE Thermal Element Model for Electrothermal Circuit Simulation
- 991 Downloads
In this work we address the well-posedness of the steady-state and transient problems stemming from the coupling of a network of lumped electric elements and a PDE model of heat diffusion in the chip substrate. In particular we consider the thermal element model presented in  and we prove that it can be controlled by any combination of voltage sources (imposing the average current in a region of the chip) and current sources (imposing the Joule power per unit area produced in a region) connected to its temperature nodes. This result justifies the implementation of the element as a linear n-port conductance as carried out in .
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Culpo, M., de Falco, C.: A pde thermal model for chip-level simulation including substrate heating effects. Preprint MS-08-10, School of Mathematical Sciences (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Culpo, M., de Falco, C., Denk, G., Voigtmann, S.: Automatic thermal network extraction and multiscale electro-thermal simulation. In: Proceedings of the SCEE 2008 Conference (Submitted) (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.roadmap commitee, I.: International tecnology roadmap for semiconductors 2007. Tech. rep., ITRS (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Culpo, M., de Falco, C.: Dynamical iteration schemes for coupled simulation. In: Proceedings of the GAMM2008 meeting (Submitted) (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Igic, P., Mawby, P., Towers, M., Batcup, S.: Dynamic electro-thermal physically based compact models of the power devices for device and circuit simulations. Semiconductor Thermal Measurement and Management, 2001. Seventeenth Annual IEEE Symposium pp. 35–42 (2001). DOI 10.1109/STHERM.2001.915142Google Scholar
- 7.Bartel, A.: Partial Differential-Algebraic Models in Chip Design Thermal and. Semiconductor Problems. VDI-Verlag (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Quarteroni, A., Valli, A.: Numerical approximation of Partial Differential Equations. Computational Mathematics. Springer (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Evans, L.: Partial Differential Equations. American Mathematichal Society (1998)Google Scholar