A Posteriori Error Bounds for Discontinuous Galerkin Methods for Quasilinear Parabolic Problems
We derive a posteriori error bounds for a quasilinear parabolic problem, which is approximated by the hp-version interior penalty discontinuous Galerkin method (IPDG). The error is measured in the energy norm. The theory is developed for the semidiscrete case for simplicity, allowing to focus on the challenges of a posteriori error control of IPDG space-discretizations of strictly monotone quasilinear parabolic problems. The a posteriori bounds are derived using the elliptic reconstruction framework, utilizing available a posteriori error bounds for the corresponding steady-state elliptic problem.
KeywordsPosteriori Error Discontinuous Galerkin Discontinuous Galerkin Method Posteriori Error Estimation Interior Penalty
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.E. Burman and A. Ern, Continuous interior penalty hp-finite element methods for advection and advection-diffusion equations, Math. Comp., 76 (2007), pp. 1119–1140 (electronic)Google Scholar
- 7.A. Ern and M. Vohralík, A posteriori error estimation based on potential and flux reconstruction for the heat equation (Submitted)Google Scholar
- 8.E. H. Georgoulis and O. Lakkis, A posteriori error control for discontinuous Galerkin methods for parabolic problems (Submitted)Google Scholar
- 11.P. Houston, E. Süli, and T. P. Wihler, A posteriori error analysis of hp-version discontinuous Galerkin finite element methods for second-order quasilinear elliptic problems, IMA J. Numer. Anal. (to appear)Google Scholar
- 12.O. A. Karakashian and F. Pascal, A posteriori error estimates for a discontinuous Galerkin approximation of second-order elliptic problems, SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 41 (2003), pp. 2374–2399 (electronic)Google Scholar
- 13.O. A. Karakashian and F. Pascal, Convergence of adaptive discontinuous Galerkin approximations of second-order elliptic problems, SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 45 (2007), pp. 641–665 (electronic)Google Scholar
- 14.O. Lakkis and C. Makridakis, Elliptic reconstruction and a posteriori error estimates for fully discrete linear parabolic problems, Math. Comp., 75 (2006), pp. 1627–1658 (electronic)Google Scholar
- 15.C. Makridakis and R. H. Nochetto, Elliptic reconstruction and a posteriori error estimates for parabolic problems, SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 41 (2003), pp. 1585–1594 (electronic)Google Scholar
- 16.S. Sun and M. F. Wheeler, L 2 (H 1 ) norm a posteriori error estimation for discontinuous Galerkin approximations of reactive transport problems, J. Sci. Comput., 22/23 (2005), pp. 501–530Google Scholar