Modeling Market Shares of Competing (e)Care Providers
In order to address the increasing costs of providing care to the growing group of elderly, efficiency gains through eCare solutions seem an obvious solution. Unfortunately not many techno-economic business models to evaluate the return of these investments are available. The construction of a business case for care for the elderly as they move through different levels of dependency and the effect of introducing an eCare service, is the intended application of the model. The simulation model presented in this paper allows for modeling evolution of market shares of competing care providers. Four tiers are defined, based on the dependency level of the elderly, for which the market shares are determined. The model takes into account available capacity of the different care providers, in- and outflow distribution between tiers and churn between providers within tiers.
KeywordseHealth Techno-economics Churn Capacity modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.OECD, OECD Regions at a Glance 2009, OECD, Paris (2009) Google Scholar
- 2.European Commission. eHealth Benchmarking, Phase II (March 2009), http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/eeurope/i2010/benchmarking/
- 3.European Commission. eHealth: a solution for European healthcare systems? The European Files, Nr.17, May-June (2009) Google Scholar
- 4.IBBT - Transecare project, https://projects.ibbt.be/transecare/
- 5.Van Ooteghem, J., De Maesschalck, S., Bamelis, K., Devos, J., Verhoeve, P., Colle, D., Ackaert, A., Pickavet, M., Demeester, P.: An eHealth business model for independent living systems. In: Proceedings (on CD-ROM) of e-Challenges 2007, The Hague, October 24-26 (2007) ISBN 978-1-58603-801-4Google Scholar
- 6.Tesch, T., Descamps, P.T., Van Hoecke, J., Leenknegt, B.: Modeling Market Share Dynamics Using Weighted Averages and Value Elasticities: The M-WAVE Model. In: CTTE 2006 conference proceedings (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.FPS Economy - Statistics Division, http://statbel.fgov.be/
- 8.Pelfrene, E.: Ontgroening en vergrijzing in Vlaanderen 1990-2050. Ministerie van de Vlaamse Gemeenschap, Administratie Planning en Statistiek (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Eurostat. Demographic Outlook - National reports on the demographic developments in 2007 (January 29, 2009), ISSN 1977-0375 Google Scholar
- 10.Nieuwsblad. 100.000 wachten op plekje in rusthuis (October 6, 2008), http://www.nieuwsblad.be/Article/Detail.aspx?articleID=qh21cj8m