Detecting Human Motion: Introducing Step, Fall and ADL Algorithms
Telecare is the term given to offering remote care to elderly and vulnerable people, providing them with the care and reassurance needed to allow them to keep living at home. As telecare is gaining research interests, we’ll introduce a system which can be used to monitor the steps, falls and daily activities of high risk populations in this paper. Using this system it is possible for a patient to rehabilitate at home or for elderly to keep living independently in their own house while they are still monitored. This leads to a huge cost reduction in health services and moreover it will make patients satisfied for being able to live at home as long as possible and in all comfort.
KeywordsMEMS Step Detection Fall Detection ADL Freescale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bourke, A.K., Scanaill, C.N., Culhane, K.M., O’Brienand, J.V., Lyons, G.M.: An optimum accelerometer configuration and simple algorithm for accurately detecting falls. In: Proceedings of the 24th IASTED International Multi-Conference Biomedical Engineering (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Lord, S.R., Sherrington, C., Menz, H.B.: Falls in older people: Risk factors and strategies for prevention. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Perolle, G., Fraisse, P., Mavros, M., Etxeberria, I.: Automatic Fall Detection and Activity Monitoring for Elderly. In: Cooperative Research Project - CRAFTGoogle Scholar
- 6.Rose, J., Gamble, J.G.: Human Walking. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Schneider, P.L., Crouter, S.E.: Bassett, and David, R., Pedometer Measures of Free-Living Physical Activity: Comparison of 13 Models. Official Journal of the American college of sports medicine (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Stirling, R., Fyfe, K., Lachapelle, G.: Evaluation of a New Method of Heading Estimation for Pedestrian Dead Reckoning Using Shoe Mounted Sensors. The Journal of Navigation (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Ying, H., Silex, C., Schnitzer, A., Leonhardt, S., Schiek, M., Automatic Step Detection in the Accelerometer Signal Google Scholar