Italian supercentenarians: Age validation of deaths from 1969 to 2000
This report describes the first stage of the age validation process of Italian supercentenarians. The process is still in progress and to date has only concerned supercentenarians deceased in the period 1969-2000. Of 35 potential supercentenarians included in the Italian National Institute of Statistics (Istituto nazionale di statistica, or Istat) database, 21 cases (three males and 18 females) are fully validated, seven cases refer to false supercentenarians—the error often being a misreported date of birth—and seven cases still remain unverified. The maximum age reached by the validated supercentenarians is 111, and the first case is recorded in 1973. In Italy supercentenarians have become a significant phenomenon only in the last few years.
KeywordsCivil Status Death Registrar Local Health Unit Italian National Institute Italian Municipal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ISTAT (2001). La nuova indagine sulle cause di morte. La codifica automatica, il bridge coding e altri elementi innovativi. Edited by Frova L., Metodi e Norme - n.8/2001.Google Scholar
- ISTAT (2003). Popolazione residente al censimento 2001 per et, sesso e stato civile. www.demo.istat.it.
- ISTAT (2004a). Applying acs to causes of death statistics in Italy. Some clues on implementation, bridge coding and further steps. Edited by Frova L., Marchetti S., Pace M.-Essays, n. 13/2004.Google Scholar
- ISTAT (2004b). Death certificate and certification practices: an international comparison. Edited by Bruzzone S., Frova L., Pennazza S. - Essay n.14/2004.Google Scholar
- Robine, J.M. and Caselli, G. (2005). An unprecedented increase in the number of centenarians. Genus, LXI.Google Scholar
- Vaupel, J.W. (1997). Demographic analysis of ageing and longevity. Paper presented at the XXIII IUSSP General Population Conference, Beijing, China.Google Scholar