Robust Preconditioner for H(curl) Interface Problems
In this paper, we construct an auxiliary space preconditioner for Maxwell’s equations with interface, and generalize the HX preconditioner developed in  to the problem with strongly discontinuous coefficients. For the H(curl) interface problem, we show that the condition number of the HX preconditioned system is uniformly bounded with respect to the coefficients and meshsize.
Key wordsHX preconditioner AMG H(curl) systems, Nédéelec interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The first author was supported in part by NSF DMS-0609727, NSFC-10528102 and Alexander von Humboldt Research Award for Senior US Scientists. The second author would like to thank his postdoctoral advisor Professor Michael Holst for his encouragement and support through NSF Awards 0715146 and 0411723.
- 4.P.B. Bochev, J.J. Hu, C.M. Siefert, and R.S. Tuminaro. An algebraic multigrid approach based on a compatible gauge reformulation of Maxwell’s equations. Technical Report SAND2007-1633 J, Sandia National Laboratory, 2007.Google Scholar
- 6.Z. Chen, L. Wang, and W. Zheng. An adaptive multilevel method for time-harmonic Maxwell equations with singularities. SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.R. Hiptmair. Finite elements in computational electromagnetism. Acta Numer., 237–339, 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.Q. Hu and J. Zou. A weighted Helmholtz decomposition and application to domain decomposition for saddle-point Maxwell systems. Technical Report 2007-15 (355), CUHK, 2007.Google Scholar
- 13.T.V. Kolev and P.S. Vassilevski. Some experience with a H 1-based auxiliary space AMG for H (curl) problems. Technical Report UCRL-TR-221841, Lawrence Livermore Nat. Lab., 2006.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Monk. Finite Element Methods for Maxwell’s Equations. Numerical Mathematics and Scientific Computation. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 2003. ISBN 0-19-850888-3. URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780198508 885.001.0001.
- 18.S. Reitzinger and J. Schöberl. An algebraic multigrid method for finite element discretizations with edge elements. Numer. Linear Algebra Appl., 9(3):223–238, 2002. URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nla.271.
- 19.A. Toselli. Overlapping Schwarz methods for Maxwell’s equations in three dimensions. Numer. Math., V86(4):733–752, 2000. URL http://www.springerlink.com/content/4h0txq7wpw5wrubq.Google Scholar
- 20.A. Toselli and O. Widlund. Domain Decomposition Methods—Algorithms and Theory, volume 34 of Springer Series in Computational Mathematics. Springer, Berlin, 2005. ISBN 3-540-20696-5.Google Scholar